The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pulled Pork Terminology - Having a Brain Cramp (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184988)

thirdeye 03-29-2014 06:56 PM

Pulled Pork Terminology - Having a Brain Cramp

What is the term(s) for the little wedge shaped pieces or pulled pork (usually around the blade bone) that are about a finger long and kind of cone shaped?

EDiT - It came to me while having dinner. "Plugs" correct? And are there other terms?

Porcine Perfection 03-29-2014 07:21 PM

Not that I know of.

Ron_L 03-29-2014 08:30 PM

Tubes? Is that what you are thinking of?

INmitch 03-29-2014 09:07 PM

Maybe the horn muscle. Is it white or dark meat?

Crash 03-30-2014 02:57 AM

Horn.

bbq.tom 03-30-2014 06:13 AM

Tubes and horn are the other names I've heard for those.

Big George's BBQ 03-30-2014 07:16 AM

I heard it called the horn by Buther BBQ on Pit Masters

thirdeye 03-30-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2862942)
Tubes? Is that what you are thinking of?

No, the tubes are inboard from the money muscle, the pieces I'm after are the blade muscles, the surface is sort of smooth on the sides and when they slip out just right you get bark on the wide end, and it tapers to a point on the other. Even though they are are chunks, the bite is so tender the pieces are usually not shredded by hand like other muscles are. I have seen them cut longways in turn-in boxes (in order to get 6), and the flat side was down on the garnish to disguise the cut edge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 2863277)
Horn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by INmitch (Post 2862993)
Maybe the horn muscle. Is it white or dark meat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq.tom (Post 2863332)
Tubes and horn are the other names I've heard for those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ (Post 2863371)
I heard it called the horn by Buther BBQ on Pit Masters

Thanks everyone.... I had heard the term "horn" & thanks for refreshing that one. "Plugs" was what was stuck in the old internal hard drive (this time), so now I have 2 terms to try and remember :biggrin1:

MikeJ65 03-30-2014 08:31 AM

I think you are referring to the pieces that are pulled from the horn muscle. I've always just called them chunks.

The horn is on the lower end of the butt, on the fat cap side of the blade bone. It starts maybe 2 1/2" diameter and then turns along the bone and tapers down (like a horn, obviously). It is a good place to pull chunks because you have good bark on the end and can get several good uniform pieces from that muscle.

Tubes are at the other end, just below the MM.

thirdeye 03-30-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJ65 (Post 2863431)
I think you are referring to the pieces that are pulled from the horn muscle. I've always just called them chunks.

The horn is on the lower end of the butt, on the fat cap side of the blade bone. It starts maybe 2 1/2" diameter and then turns along the bone and tapers down (like a horn, obviously). It is a good place to pull chunks because you have good bark on the end and can get several good uniform pieces from that muscle.

Tubes are at the other end, just below the MM.

Yep, see my reply to RonL ^^above^^. It's weird how things like that stick in your brain... it all started with a conversation about competition pork I was having with a guy after smoking a butt this weekend and having some different parts to try out.