The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KCBS and judging? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26976)

Bentley 05-10-2007 10:04 AM

KCBS and judging?

Does a promoter have sole discreation and final say over the make up of judges at a KCBS scantioned event? ie. Can a promoter put in a non-CBJ just because they are the promoter? I got to go to the Jack last October with another team and was somewhat suprised to find out how many celebrity judges are used. But I am not realy familier with the rules of the Jack or the Royal for that matter, (as my friend John Ross knows) maybe they just follow guidelines and are not KCBS scantioned?

Maybe some of the KCBS board members who read this forum could elaborate...is there anything in the KCBS rules that say if the event is KCBS scantioned, absolute preference must be given to a CBJ, right of 1st refusal so to speak?

Have posted this on a couple of different forums, am very curious as to what the answer is!

Bigmista 05-10-2007 11:59 AM

I don't have a clue. Perhaps Jim Minion or Merl willk chime in...

eurycea 05-10-2007 12:43 PM

I believe that organizers can use whomever they want to judge as long as they are over 16 assuming the rep doesn't have a problem with them. If an organizer wants CBJs I think KCBS will give them a list of ones that they can contact because I've had organizers contact me in the past.

jminion 05-10-2007 03:31 PM

An organizer can bring judges that are not CBJs but I find most contest do try achieve 100% CBJs if they can.

Bentley 05-10-2007 06:49 PM

Thanks Jim. Is there any chance KCBS will impose a rule that a KCBS scantioned event will require a promoter to take a CBJ 1st over someone who is not certified?

MilitantSquatter 05-10-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley (Post 392684)
Thanks Jim. Is there any chance KCBS will impose a rule that a KCBS scantioned event will require a promoter to take a CBJ 1st over someone who is not certified?

Even if there was a rule, it would be difficult to prove or enforce.

jminion 05-10-2007 08:27 PM

Vinney
I agree, I would hope that the Reps will work with the organizer and work something out to everyone satisfaction. I can see a case where the sponsor who put up the money want the CEO and President to have the chance to judge, would be hard to tell them no.

In a perfect world we have 100% CBJs.

Jim

Bentley 05-11-2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter (Post 392688)
Even if there was a rule, it would be difficult to prove or enforce.

I can see Jim's point about the CEO...but I would not think it is hard to prove you are a CBJ. You bring your number, rep goes to KCBS web site inputs number and validates it is real and CBJ is in good standing. I must live in a fantasy world? I have competed for the last 5 years, from competitions that have had 11 teams to one that had 46 and I think once, Boulder City in 2006, were there 100% CBJ...then we here about how CBJ's were trying to get into judge, but non CBJ's were used. All the other's did not, must just be a CA thing!

BBQchef33 05-11-2007 01:20 PM

its not a CA thing. One event(i will let someone else remind me of the name), the promoter uses 'celebrity' judges over CBJ. And it seems celebrity means anyone who is not a CBJ. Although it would be a beautiful thing to make it a requirment, I dont think it would be enforcable unless KCBS gets involved with signing up the judges for events.

jminion 05-11-2007 02:35 PM

The Board has discussed this topic and I believe you will see CBJs and cooks issued membership cards yearly when your dues are paid. The card could include member and CBJ id number. That way the Reps would know easily if the judge is current (as you know to be a cbj current dues are required)..

eurycea 05-11-2007 03:36 PM

I've been at contests where CBJs had to give up their judging spot to a non CBJ and the CBJ was moved to table captain. I'd think it would make more sense to have the CBJ judging.