The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Catering for 900 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187806)

kadQ 05-02-2014 06:46 PM

Catering for 900

Hello all,

I have been approached by the local plumbers and pipefitters union to smoke Boston Butts for about 900 folks in columbus for july 3 red, white and boom fireworks. So I have came up with some numbers and need to verify the amount of meat I have figured.

900x.375(6oz)= 337.5 pounds X2=675 pounds. I divided 675 pounds of meat by 7 (average weight on a bone in butt) comes out to be 96 butts.

The union is going to provide servers and all I have to provide is meat, BBQ sauce and time and of course the smokers.

Do you think my meat numbers are good or should I figure more????

Duane:crazy:

HBMTN 05-02-2014 09:04 PM

For me I would cook 563lbs of raw butts normally. Something like 80-85 7lb butts. With unions workers and mostly men (if so) I'd go with your numbers.

poorolddan 05-02-2014 09:40 PM

I'd be talking pounds instead of number of butts. To many butt pairs have 1 weighing 8.5# and the other under 7#. 600# raw would yield 300# cooked or 960 5 ounce portions. I'd bet that at least 1/2 of the 900 will be wives and kids for a family type event like the 4th and fireworks. But if you are charging by the pound cook as much as they want to pay for.

Chuckwagonbbqco 05-02-2014 11:02 PM

everyone talks about meat----WHAT ELSE is being served??? Amount of meat does not mean squat without knowing what else will be there to fill the plates. Is the pork going in sandwiches? What size bread? Is the meat going on plates? Are you just serving pork and nothing else?
Servers were mentioned----with servers then portion can be controlled---if the portion is controlled then your formula will work---likepooroldan said----but meat in pounds---do not count butts
When a caterer cooks meat only---that caterer is at the mercy of anything that happens because that caterer has no control over the whole meal----and "stuff" will happen

bizznessman 05-03-2014 07:20 AM

I agree with poorolddan and Chuckwagonbbqco regarding their advice. The only thing I would add is that we cook an extra 10% for large events. This covers "unknowns" and those who take larger portions. This 10% is added into the overall price of the product. It is all spelled out in our contract so that the customer is aware of all the line items charged for.

kadQ 05-03-2014 06:59 PM

This event is unusual the local to my understanding is given away the food. Now this is possibly my first go around with this kind of event where I supply meat only. Sides to me are unkown and they told me to supply enough meat for 900 people only. Of course I asked what would the serving size would be and they asked for a recommendation, Suggested 6oz portions explained to them that there will be men woman and kids some will take alittle more and some will take less.

kadQ 05-03-2014 07:02 PM

Thanks to all who responded to this. This event is by far the largest I have thrown numbers at. To be frank I'm excited about doing this for the Local but also a little nervous.

JbTech 05-03-2014 07:07 PM

What kind of cooker are you looking at using?

Something that can handle that amount of butts?
(Just askin, I'm kinda local)

Where are you cookin? Near home or downtown C-Bus?

kadQ 05-03-2014 07:28 PM

JB Tech I'll be cooking on site off of kinnear rd near the osu campus. The smokers combine I have room for about 120 butts. I know I'll need help if I get this job!!!!! Also quoted another for the Local , 180 racks of ribs for a benefit for OSU Hospital ( the James)

Chuckwagonbbqco 05-03-2014 07:50 PM

I would find out way way way more information or run fast.
You are staking YOUR reputation to 900 prospective customers and depending on unknown information.
If the meal is free to those partaking it is even worse. People that pay for a meal are gracious and thankful---those getting "free" meals have a false sense of entitlement.
I am not trying to be a killjoy----I have been there. A 900 people catering job would look like a great deal to a caterer----and it can be. If you are there--and you are cooking---all fingers will be pointed at you when things go astray. Please please please----get rock hard info. This job reeks of clusterfluck. Take control of the whole job, or suffer because there was no control

poorolddan 05-03-2014 10:03 PM

900 bodies with most carrying union cards eating for free? Talk about entitlement. I wouldn't even consider cooking this event. No matter how good a job you do it will not be good enough. They can all cook better than you can and do it for a lot less. Been there and done that. Ask who cooked the event for them last year. Bet talking to them will be very eye opening.

TailGateJoecom 05-04-2014 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadQ (Post 2906979)
This event is unusual the local to my understanding is given away the food. Now this is possibly my first go around with this kind of event where I supply meat only. Sides to me are unkown and they told me to supply enough meat for 900 people only. Of course I asked what would the serving size would be and they asked for a recommendation, Suggested 6oz portions explained to them that there will be men woman and kids some will take alittle more and some will take less.

Hmmmm, this sounds odd.

To protect myself, I would not price this out as a catering job per person, I would sell it per lb. I would give them a number based on a 6oz serving per guest, but explain to them that they are welcome to order a little extra in case their guests eat more than normal or there are more than 900 guests.

Meat sold by the LB
For 900 people using a suggested serving of 6oz you want a minimum of 340 lbs of pork.
Pricing for pork is $xx.xx per lb
Price includes x amount of sauce per lb

kadQ 05-04-2014 07:14 AM

In the years past the local done just hamburgers and hot dogs, Had 15-20 union members bring there grills and cooked all day. They also had there familes bring sides including pies.

This coming weekend i'm smoking brisket, butts, ribs and chicken breast's for a small get together mostly friends and a few potential clients. Which i'm inviting the president of the local plumbers and pipefitters along will have plenty of time to discuss this event with him. I do have alot of questions for him since I posted this to the Brethren and have alot of concerns!!! You all opened my eye's I thank you!!!!

Chuckwagonbbqco 05-04-2014 10:31 AM

Sounds like you want to do this job so I will help with questions

--What time does serving start? What time does serving end? Are we feeding 900 people all at once? or 900 people in 5 hours?
this will determine how many serving lines and servers are needed
--What is the plan for supply of side dishes?
Pot luck is not a plan---it is a gamble, and the odds of winning at the pot luck gamble are slim to none. Make sure there is a plan for at least beans and bagged salad in supply for 900 people.
---Who is in charge of food placement on the serving line?
Make sure that the buffet tables have dishes lined up in proper order---least expensive dishes first in line----meat at the far end. This insures that plates will be almost full when they reach the meat supply--this helps portion control. A good caterer will take ALL of the food ALL at once to the serving line. This is impossible with "pot luck" so food will be sitting on the tables---all it takes is one person to go get one plate, and start plating pot luck food-----even before the meat is placed in serving trays. This one person will start a stampede that you can not stop----and people demanding where is the meat.
----Who is enforcing the serving portion? Free food supplied by an entity that collects dues from the people being fed causes a severe case of "unrealistic entitlement." I am not Union bashing----I am stating human nature. The same thing happens feeding employees for free at a company party. Having non assertive servers will not work---assertive, demanding people in the food line will ruin your portioning. One person that demands more food---and get's it-- will start an avalanche in the serving line that is a snowball going downhill.
Desserts? Who is supplying pies? Everyone gets pie or no one gets pie----either way works. BUT if half of the people get pie and half don't----you have a problem--you were not in charge of pies---but you are there cooking---so it is your fault in the eyes of the people. MAKE SURE there is a plan. You need 120 pies and someone to cut 120 pies.

Asking these questions will show that you intend for everything to run smoothly and you know what you are doing?

If the answers to the questions are not to your liking then do exactly what "TailgateJoe.com" said and drop off "X Pounds of meat at "X dollars" per pound and then leave quickly, so you will not be seen or criticized when the wreck happens

abrignac 05-07-2014 03:28 PM

Sage advice given.

One thing to remember is if something goes south, and it will, fingers are going to point. If you are the "caterer" those fingers are going to point at you even if it is something outside your control.

I'd step very carefully here. If they only want you to supply the meats, I'd contract to supply a set amount of product, not to feed x number of people. In addition, I'd insist on at least a 20% safety net. Also, make sure their expectations of you are clearly defined and written down.

Good Luck!