The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   puzzled about my ribs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176340)

olflathead 11-28-2013 09:05 PM

puzzled about my ribs

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 88223Cooked ribs for thanksgiving. Thought they turned out nice but had the strong creosote taste. Done everything the same as a month ago but with different results. Cooking on a WMS but with a Pitmaster IQ temp control this time. Any suggestions on might of happen!

GT-Q 11-28-2013 09:10 PM

Just a guess but was it significantly colder out today than the last time? That can cause the more of the smoke to condense into the stuff that makes the creosote taste. I have to cook slightly hotter when it's colder to keep that from happening.

olflathead 11-28-2013 09:27 PM

Was colder but I cooked in my garage with heat so not sure if that's the answer.

ShencoSmoke 11-28-2013 09:32 PM

Did the fire burn clean the whole cook, especially the beginning of the cook?

Fleetz 11-28-2013 10:06 PM

Did you have water in the pan?

grantw 11-28-2013 10:18 PM

was the top vent closed down any?

Bludawg 11-28-2013 10:33 PM

Creosote comes from incomplete combustion, usually due to bad draft, not enough clean makeup air or a restricted exhaust. How well vented was your garage? A smokey atmosphere will choke a fire if you can smell it it's enough

LMAJ 11-29-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olflathead (Post 2711989)
Was colder but I cooked in my garage with heat so not sure if that's the answer.

This is concerning... not a good idea man.

MeatCandy 11-29-2013 10:06 AM

The odd flavor could have been from the drip tray...It can burn the grease and give off a creosote flavor...Just a thought...

Fwismoker 11-29-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2712058)
Creosote comes from incomplete combustion, usually due to bad draft, not enough clean makeup air or a restricted exhaust. How well vented was your garage? A smokey atmosphere will choke a fire if you can smell it it's enough

also wet wood, green wood and bad minion set up where too much unburnt charcoal is smoldering at once. (goes to your incomplete combustion)

c farmer 11-29-2013 10:13 AM

How do you have a bad minion set-up?

Fwismoker 11-29-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c farmer (Post 2712386)
How do you have a bad minion set-up?

In a good minion setup you have a small hot fire slowly lighting the unlit (a little bit at a time) If the hot coals are spread over too many unlit then there can be too much smoldering and it produces bad smoke.

Snake method is good, the coffee can method and you know i like to burn from the edge outward.

TheRealGrinder 11-29-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 2712379)
also wet wood, green wood and bad minion set up where too much unburnt charcoal is smoldering at once. (goes to your incomplete combustion)

+1 on the wet wood or bad combustion. Make sure you have doors or windows open when grilling in your garage. Just ask Brad Delp.

olflathead 11-29-2013 08:16 PM

The garage was well ventilated. used the minion method with half chimney to start in center. smoke was flowing heavy at first then thinned as it normally does. didn't have water in bowl at first but added because it was running a little hot

Fwismoker 11-29-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olflathead (Post 2712927)
The garage was well ventilated. used the minion method with half chimney to start in center. smoke was flowing heavy at first then thinned as it normally does. didn't have water in bowl at first but added because it was running a little hot

Really try run it with out water and control only by the air...this is a great time of year for you to practice. Water is a bad crutch IMO but i know some will disagree. You will learn to dial the temp in very easily without and i believe better smoke because your fire will have to run hotter to keep your desired temperature.