Rubbery skin chicken

Jensen

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi,

Any suggestions would be appreciated to see if I can avoid rubbery skin judging comments. At present, I brine then rinse, pat dry the spatchcocked chicken. I then add Italian dressing mixed with rub under the skin covering the breast, drums and thighs. I then do the same on the top of the chicken skin. I then inject with butter and apple juice with garlic powder. I place butter in a pan and leave the chicken in a butter bath breast side up for 50 minutes and then directly on the grill until thighs hit 175 degrees.

The last 15 minutes I cook over high heat and submit thighs and drums.

I score high on appearance and taste but I am hurting in the texture category of the skin not the meat. I get comments "skin flap", "rubbery skin", or "tough skin". I'm using a WSM with a waterpan that is dry.

KCBS judging.

Thanks to all for your help!

Jensen

Is there a reason that you cook whole chickens for KCBS? cook just thigh and drums trim the fat on the thighs and cook just like you described above and see how that works in a practice.

When it's in the butter bath, is the pan covered? It needs to be.

I never thought of covering the chicken while in the bath. Genius!

So placing oil and rub both under the skin and ontop is a good method and will not cause the skin to go rubbery? As long as I now cover the bird and cook at a higher temp?

I cook the whole bird to keep the flavour intact but when it comes time to the turn in time I cut the bird and use only the drums and thighs, reglaze and let it set for 15 minutes before boxing them for judging.

So placing oil and rub both under the skin and ontop is a good method and will not cause the skin to go rubbery? As long as I now cover the bird and cook at a higher temp? That is correct! Meat Glue also helps it stay attached.

Has anyone else tried using a little baking powder in their rub? I recently found a smoked wing recipe that called for this, and it makes my wings perfectly crispy. I haven't tried it on thighs, drums or whole chicken yet. Was wondering if it would help.

I never thought of covering the chicken while in the bath. Genius!

So placing oil and rub both under the skin and ontop is a good method and will not cause the skin to go rubbery? As long as I now cover the bird and cook at a higher temp?

I cook the whole bird to keep the flavour intact but when it comes time to the turn in time I cut the bird and use only the drums and thighs, reglaze and let it set for 15 minutes before boxing them for judging.

You don't even need the higher heat. Amazing, but you can get it done at 225 as long as you cover for atleast 20 min.

Has anyone else tried using a little baking powder in their rub? I recently found a smoked wing recipe that called for this, and it makes my wings perfectly crispy. I haven't tried it on thighs, drums or whole chicken yet. Was wondering if it would help.

I tried it, and it made the skin tough. Maybe I used too much? Not sure.....

Oh the elusive chicken thread (I actually posted one of these a few weeks ago). I agree with the above and if you're still not hitting the mark, try scraping the fat off the back of the skin. We have a similar method as you do, with the covering in the butter bath, but we also scrape the skin and we had good skin the last two times we practiced.

The thighs we turned in last week in Apex took 6th and were boneless/skinless.

NO problem with rubbery skin - as there wasn't any!

As a judge, I'd MUCH rather get a skinless thigh than one with less than excellent skin!!!

Back