The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   All the stuff they don't tell you about Memphis in May (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103529)

TooSaucedToPork 03-30-2011 10:00 PM

All the stuff they don't tell you about Memphis in May

The “Crap they don’t tell you about Competing in Memphis in May” list…

Let’s start with the planning, since getting in is a matter of turning in the application…and I assume that has already happened
Cooks meeting - first timers - go if you can…great way to network
You can add ancillaries, wed. night tickets, and 3 day wristbands up until cooks meeting in april

Patio Porkers get 5 - 24 hour bands

Regular Teams get 15-24 Hour bands

Larger teams (like mine) will buy your extra 24 hour bands…(good way to recoup some costs or to get your kegs or a case of pork paid for)

3 day wristbands are only for gate hours Thurs-Sat

Big hog package is a waste of money for a small team…

Cattlemans offers free sauce to teams…sign up for it, get the maximium amount…free stuff is good stuff, and if you sign up for the max, that’s like 200 dollars worth of free bbq supplies. This includes gallons of Worchester, yellow mustard, franks, and lots of BBQ Sauces...max was 20 gallons last year
The Contest
If you have a large trailer you want in your team booth get there the Saturday before the contest starts because once the fences go up it is dang near impossible to get that hoss into a muddy rutted out spot.

Put up your fence as soon as you get there - If you do not, then your empty spot will be used as a parking lot, a turn around, and a way to put a trailer into the spot behind yours. THIS SUX. The booth gets all rutted out and very nasty with mud. So prevention is the best policy

BRING some kind of floor. You will thank me for this. They don’t call it Memphis in Mud for nothing. It has to sit above the ground. No wood chips, plywood directly on the ground, etc. We use pallets then hammer plywood over em…cheap and easy. I say bring b/c the rental company charges 28 bucks per 4ftx4ft square of flooring.

Get the Fire Marshall permit tag as soon as you can on Monday or Tues…DO NOT FORGET…it will be absolute HELL trying to track these guys down come Wednesday

Bring your own grounding wire kit for your tent, if you don’t the electricians will charge you for a kit..AND INSTALLATION…if you bring your own they will hook you in no charge

WATCH you team boundaries…there are some teams that will move paint and stakes to get a bigger area. I won’t name names, but it is rude and sh**ty to do. Measure your spot, then drive BIG stakes into the ground at the corners…

Count on electric to not be hooked up until Tuesday…it usually gets hooked up before, but there have been snafu’s in the past. Make sure you have an alternative plan for meat, tools, light, etc

RENT A PORT-O-JOHN, and put it in the BACK of your booth. You can thank me later for this. If your crapper is in the front people will just walk into your booth and use it without permission…not cool. If you don’t have one you will regret it when you go to relive yourself only to find overflowing crappers from the 100,000 people that used them before you. Plus all the drunks= PUKE in the public ones...NASTY

Beer sales end early by 9pm everyday…PLAN FOR THIS. Wed is like 6pm and Sat is 7 pm…Remember to stock up or you will be SOL…

Wednesday is the last day to load in…7am - NOON Vehicles must leave by 3pm…those of you driving in from points unknown This is the ABSOLUTE LAST time to load big stuff in…otherwise you will be hoofing it in from ½ a mile away…that is no exageration…½ a mile at least carrying stuff.

GET A WAGON - this will save you LOTS of heartache. From kegs to meat, to the 2 kids you can haul everything you need in them. A must for MIM.

You will need to have Blockers and runners for your entries. The crowds are thick and you will need 2 or 3 person teams to get your stuff to the judging quickly and safely.

You need to bring a fire extinguisher with a CURRENT INSPECTION TAG ATTACHED. They will not give you a fire permit without one.

All propane tanks must have a holder…a milk crate is perfect for this, without a holder…no permit
AND THE BIGGEST RULE
If things go wrong with your pork entry put the beautiful portions in the blind box. (remember pork entries can have NO garnish) You have to learn to B.S. and sell your onsite judge on your product. You can talk your way out of a burnt looking rib or shoulder to an onsite judge, you can’t explain anything to the blind judges….

I think that’s all my tips…anyone else got anything?

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster - Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

SirPorkaLot 03-31-2011 12:06 AM

All I can say is .... Wow! That is a ton of great info I have never had the pleasure of attending or competing at MIM, but you can bet this thread will be saved for the time that I may get that opportunity.

Thanks!

Maddog's 03-31-2011 12:18 AM

....and you want to go endure all of that crap because?

KC_Bobby 03-31-2011 12:22 AM

I wanna go

TooSaucedToPork 03-31-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddog's (Post 1595575)

Because it is an amazing contest like nothing else you will see...Its Mardi Gras with Pork :-)

Neil

TooSaucedToPork 03-31-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Bobby (Post 1595578)
I wanna go

We have 6 people from the forum with us this year...if your interested you can join up and be Lucky number 7

Neil:thumb:

jrbBBQ 03-31-2011 02:01 AM

I just hope to come down there and visit this spectacle of BBQ. I've heard stories and been to Memphis several times but never to MIM. GOOD LUCK!

NorthwestBBQ 03-31-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork (Post 1595595)
We have 6 people from the forum with us this year...if your interested you can join up and be Lucky number 7

Neil:thumb:

I'm your huckleberry. :thumb: I would love to go!

Mister Bob 03-31-2011 04:24 PM

I have one. Don't miss a trip to Gus's, 310 South Front Street for their fried chicken. It's a short walk, and it's to die for.

Dallas Dan 03-31-2011 05:07 PM

Interesting read. Do you have any prons of the event?

msavard 03-31-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bob (Post 1596172)
I have one. Don't miss a trip to Gus's, 310 South Front Street for their fried chicken. It's a short walk, and it's to die for.

THIS. :thumb:

msavard 03-31-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddog's (Post 1595575)

Because it's the most entertaining BBQ cooking contest in the country... not to mention one of the biggest and most competitive. It's got it all! :thumb:

Neil...great list. You're spot on with that stuff. Those who are competing at the Superbowl Of Swine for the first time, take heed!

SmokeInDaEye 03-31-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Dan (Post 1596225)
Interesting read. Do you have any prons of the event?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEaKHt7RsL0&feature=channel_video_title

SmokeInDaEye 03-31-2011 05:54 PM

1) Never run through Tom Lee Park with a giant knife
2) Always remember to take the sauce container when turning in whole hog

Iamarealbigdog 03-31-2011 06:09 PM

Got it, and HOLY PORKCHOPS BATMAN.....

Just doubled my budget... Spoke with our local contact and he said same thing about floor and that pop up tents do not cut it... That's another grand on the card... Yeh-Hawa

Electrical grounding kit, I assume a 5 foot rebar sunk into the ground and a quarter inch aircraft cable clamped onto it is suitable... amI over simplifying this?

Fence... Oh come on... something up front to stop the uninvited I got it...