The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Using Smoked Beef in Nachos? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153030)

lhommedieu 02-03-2013 12:47 PM

Using Smoked Beef in Nachos?

I have a great recipe for nachos that calls for pork carnitas as the meat - and I saw on this forum a thread that utilized a slightly under-cooked pork butt as the basis for pork carnitas. The combination of heat and spices served to further soften the meat. I think the combination of smoke flavor and the spices in the carnitas would be perfect.

When I cook for my wife, however, she doesn't eat pork. Is there a cut of beef that I could use in a similar fashion? Brisket, maybe? I would not need to make carnitas, exactly - maybe a Texas chili using smoked beef, chili powder, onions, lime, and a small amount of tomato sauce.

Best,

Steve

J-Rod 02-03-2013 12:51 PM

I'd go with a nice chuck roast. Smoke it for a while, then slow cook it in your sauce mixture until it pulls. Your nachos will be dee-licious!

realspaazz 02-03-2013 12:56 PM

Cook up a beef chuck (or two) until it is done enough to shred. I usually smoke mine on the grate with just some rub for a couple of hours (usually at 240-250 pit temp), then put it in a foil pan with some peppers, onions, etc. plus spices and liquid and back on the smoker for another 3 hours or so. internal temp around 200 is usually pullable. If you can break it apart with a fork you are done. Your list of flavorings looks like it should work out great.

aawa 02-03-2013 12:57 PM

+1 for chuck roast. It smokes up nicely and pulls nicely also. Another is brisket.

lhommedieu 02-03-2013 01:04 PM

Thanks guys! In the time that it took me to figure out that chuck might be my best best, you posted your responses. I like the idea of smoking a small chuck roast, and then foiling it with flavorings until it's ready to be pulled.

Smoking two baby backs at the moment ("Spiced Apple Baby Back Ribs" from Backyard BBQ by Richard McPeake). I'm about three hours in and they're starting to look great. Funny how you think of different BBQ while you're in the middle of a BBQ, lol...

Thanks again for the advice.

Best,

Steve

bigabyte 02-03-2013 01:12 PM

Brisket, burnt ends, chuck.

Gore 02-03-2013 01:12 PM

My first choice is actually brisket, then chuck. My wife makes some wicked carne seca that is fabulous on nachos.

lhommedieu 02-03-2013 01:14 PM

Great - now I have to make brisket and chuck just to see which one I like better. Maybe some day I'll try tri-tip, or sirloin. Choices, choices...

ROLANON 02-06-2013 02:52 PM

why not? I grill chicken breast over mesquite and then shred and simmer in my favorite chicken taco seasonings... on hot corn tortillas! mmmmmmmm!

NickTheGreat 02-06-2013 03:14 PM

We very often make nachos with our leftover brisket and pork butt.

cpw 02-06-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickTheGreat (Post 2357193)
We very often make nachos with our leftover brisket and pork butt.

Same here. I use a little bbq sauce instead of salsa, and some cheese and sour cream. They are always amazing.

chriscw81 02-06-2013 04:54 PM

i actually make nachos with lots of different BBQ left overs. brisket, chuck, pulled pork, and even a little tri-tip. when i'm cooking my BBQ i'm already thinking about the nachos i plan on making later on :mrgreen:

ok, now i need some nachos in my life...pronto!!!!

El Ropo 02-06-2013 06:53 PM

I second the brisket or chuck roast as a direct replacement. You could also look for boneless shoulder country style beef ribs. They tend to be less expensive than whole chuck roasts around here for some reason.

Another option would be get a new wife, but I can see how that's out of the question for just about everyone.

trufunk 02-06-2013 07:12 PM

I use leftover brisket all the time for nachos.

BAD324 02-07-2013 08:29 AM

I use leftover chuck roast for the nachos all the time and always comes out fantastic. Mine usually consists of

Chips, Shredded chuck, black beans, shredded lettuce, jalapenos and topped with bbq sauce