Cooking with Propane

Never an issue for me. My tanks get refilled and come back home with me. Never any swapping of tanks.

I will say though that this is something that I never heard of before. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

If you use the same tank that should not be a problem. I do not do the exchange tank method

I use 30# tanks, and I can fill them locally for $19 (27# @ $.70 per pound). The exchange rate for a 20# Blue Rino tank is $20 (18# @ $1.11 per pound). Brand new the tanks cost about $60 so you recover the cost of the tank after just a little more than 5 refills. No-brainer Mod!

Other impacts of using propane is that your entire pit could blow up.

A coworker had his propane grill blow up just about a month ago. He is a convert to charcoal all of a sudden.

ahahhhahhahah DOH!!!!!!!!!!

I do admit, I exchange my tanks with Rino!!!... I have never seen a rusty one though. They seem to be in great looking condition.... :/

I use 30# tanks, and I can fill them locally for $19 (27# @ $.70 per pound). The exchange rate for a 20# Blue Rino tank is $20 (18# @ $1.11 per pound). Brand new the tanks cost about $60 so you recover the cost of the tank after just a little more than 5 refills. No-brainer Mod!
even more savings if you get the tank from Rino the first time, and then go fill up yourself when it runs out.

"His company, on average, disposes of five meth contaminated propane tanks every month. But given the thousands of tanks they process it's not a very common problem."

Sounds like the press is trying to scare folks by "Blowing" this out of proportion. Tim

"His company, on average, disposes of five meth contaminated propane tanks every month. But given the thousands of tanks they process it's not a very common problem."

Sounds like the press is trying to scare folks by "Blowing" this out of proportion. Tim

I would imagine it would be a big problem if you happened to get one of the contaminated tanks. :wink:

We also have a Rino tank for a quick backup.

even more savings if you get the tank from Rhino the first time, and then go fill up yourself when it runs out.

My camp trailer uses two 30 lb. tanks so most of my experience is with the larger tanks. We do also have a 20 lb. Rhino tank as a backup that can be easily exchanged while on the road. The local welding shop where i get my tanks filled will not fill the Rhino tanks for some reason. We have also had people give us old style tanks that were full. You can get a converter for the things for about $12. If I weigh the tank and it contains more than $12 worth propane then I will use an adapter but the shop will not fill the tanks through the adapter. To have the tank converted costs about $30 which is half the price of a new 30 lb. tank so I never had the old tanks converted and certifies. I could probably find people that would fill the things but i believe keeping the gas cylinders in pretty good condition and in compliance with the laws or send them to the recycle plant.

I do not grill or smoke with propane but this year I think I will build a burner that will be used as a fire starter or an over night burner to be used after the meat has completed a good smoke burn.

Rhino needsto speak up about their process

I am sure that the press feels that they have a duty to inform the public about the risk, and rightly so. Right now the companies that fill and service the exchange tanks need to tell the public what theyy are doing to prevent contaminated tanks making it to the sale racks. I come from a part of the country where a lot of meth is produced. If I find out about them you can bet that they will get a visit from the local sherif.

I went out to fire my gasser up for some burgers tonight. Turned on the tank and I could smell gas. Checked the screw on cap to make sure it was tight, yes, but it was leaking. Somehow the cap had somewhat warped since last time I refilled and it no longer holds a seal, I could feel the gas coming out of the tank.

I'll be stopping to get a new cap and hose at the hardware store tomorrow so I can have those burgers. Pork nacho's tonight.

Back