The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Alternates to apple juice for injection (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145094)

RichC 09-30-2012 09:53 AM

Alternates to apple juice for injection

I've been using a modified version of Chris Lilly's butt injection on all my pork butts, but we've recently discovered that my son has an apple allergy. He *may* not react to apple juice, but it's severe enough that I don't want to take any chances.

Sooo.. any thoughts on alternatives to apple juice? I've thought about chicken stock and adding some sugar (we take half the sugar and salt out of the Chris Lilly recipe right now).

Thanks,
Rich

Grillman 09-30-2012 10:01 AM

Any fruit juice will do just fine, as fruit works very well with Pork.
Most any flavor of Pop (soda) will work as well.
Or you can make up something on your own, try mixing some Worcestershire sauce,
some Soy Sauce, some BBQ Sauce, see what's in your fridge that you can use.

Teamfour 09-30-2012 10:05 AM

I like pineapple juice for pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bludawg 09-30-2012 10:06 AM

Butts have enough moisture no injection required, But then I like my pork to taste like pork too.

NCGuy68 09-30-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2229946)
Butts have enough moisture no injection required, But then I like my pork to taste like pork too.

^^ This.

However, I've been messin' around with adult 'Barlely Pops' as injections at times.....:becky:

JS-TX 09-30-2012 10:20 AM

Try white grape juice.. And it will still taste like pork.

RichC 09-30-2012 10:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Pineapple juice sounds like a good idea and I think I'm going to give that a shot.

Bludawg 09-30-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 2229957)
Thanks for the suggestions. Pineapple juice sounds like a good idea and I think I'm going to give that a shot.

Pineapple is a natural tenderizer to much will make it mushy.

RichC 09-30-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS-TX (Post 2229956)
Try white grape juice.. And it will still taste like pork.

One of the problems with a lot of juices like grape is that the top ingredient is actually apple juice. I'd have to find pure white grape juice or another pure juice. My other problem is that apple, peach, cherry, pear and plum are all in the same allergy family. Who knew, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2229960)

Good point

Bbq Bubba 09-30-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2229946)

I agree....

Have you ever cooked it in just its natural flavor?

I hate fruity tasting pork.

YMMV. :thumb:

RichC 09-30-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 2229972)
I agree....

Have you ever cooked it in just its natural flavor?

I hate fruity tasting pork.

YMMV. :thumb:

I have, but I struggled with pulled pork for a while and the first time I got it right we used an injection. People have raved about it and I don't know if I really taste apple in it. I think what people have liked is that there's a touch of sweetness and some added salt along with a hint of worcestershire. The other thing I noticed was that when I added drippings back to the pulled pork without an injection, it was way too rich. That seems to be cut by the injection. But I haven't done this a hundred times so that's just what I've seen with the handfull of pork butts I've smoked.

I might be able to get as good or better results without, but I've been trying to stick with what I know worked before.

CRider 09-30-2012 11:20 AM

I use a mix of apple juice, leftover rub, some water, and pork stock. I'm thinking about replacing the apple juice with something else next time just to try something different. Great flavors mixed in with plenty of pork flavor, I don't get any complaints.

Teamfour 09-30-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2229960)

Absolutely right and sorry to mislead. I actually use pineapple along with apple juice and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charray 09-30-2012 01:45 PM

I love 4 to 1 Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper/molasses or vinegar with some & rub

MS2SB 09-30-2012 02:28 PM

If I inject I use a mixture of chicken stock and wooster.