Beans under pork shoulder - too much pork?

silver8ack

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm doing this recipe again for an upcoming high heat pork shoulder: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...x4DQDA&usg=AFQjCNEw_xVKWJLUFypbCCVX1Eupz1kWVQ

It calls for a pound if bacon. The last time I did this in my wsm under some ribs. The only negative comment I got was that the beans were a little too 'smokey'. I think the bacon coupled with hickory and ribs was too much for some folks.

This time in using cherry. But I'm concerned that doing this under a pork shoulder might be too much for my family. Should I do maybe a half pound of bacon? Maye skip the smoker all together with the beans? Cover the beans?

What say the brethren?

Well covering the beans would keep them from taking on more smoke but if u want some smoke u could cover them after awhile and have some smoke but not too much.

Last edited:
You may want to foil the beans after a bit, or pull them and finish them in the oven, or put them in later on so as not to get to smokey. As for bacon, if you want you can cut back some if it seems to much:shock: :biggrin1:

Beans under pork may be too fatty if the beans are catching ALL the porky goodness. I like putting pulled pork or a cooked fatty in my beans.

Back