The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best BBQ Rubs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85771)

Big_AL 06-01-2010 07:48 PM

Best BBQ Rubs

There are many rubs commerically available on the market. What are your favorite for chicken, pork, beef and all-purpose?

Boshizzle 06-01-2010 07:53 PM

Man, that's a can of worms. My favorite commercial rubs for pork include Yardbird, Williams Rib Tickler, and Big Bob Gibsons. For Beef, I like Bovine Bold. For chicken, I like Smokin' Guns, Yardbird, or Cimarron Doc's.

Bbq Bubba 06-01-2010 08:06 PM

Plowboys, Simply Marvelous, plowboys and Simply Marvelous. :thumb:

Are there others?

Big_AL 06-01-2010 08:21 PM

Given the rub czars on the forum I knew I was setting myself up for trouble. :boxing: But I still thought the question was worthy of being presented especially since it's towards the middle of the week and the pron might be a little slow after the big weekend.

That and I'm shamelessly hoping for a few samples to be sent my way. :wink:

landarc 06-01-2010 08:24 PM

Gah, it is impossible to say. I do agree that Simply Marvelous and Plowboy's are exceptional. But, I have not tried enough to say they are the best.

MilitantSquatter 06-01-2010 08:44 PM

Commerically produced, I like Dizzy Pig products mainly because of the super fresh, high quality & very unique ingredients that get incorporated. I will often use them for general indoor cooking, quick grilling etc. Several get used on the BBQ meats..I recently began using a few as one of the components of my modified version of Donnie's tri-level rub process.

I've tried several Brethen rubs (Spicewine, Plowboys & Simply Marvelous) and those are all excellent as well.

Boshizzle 06-01-2010 08:46 PM

I got to taste some Dizzy Pig products at a recent comp and they were pretty good!

BBQ_MAFIA 06-01-2010 08:47 PM

My family loves Spicewine's Rubs and Plowboys Bovine Bold.

big brother smoke 06-01-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_AL (Post 1298330)
Given the rub czars on the forum I knew I was setting myself up for trouble. :boxing: But I still thought the question was worthy of being presented especially since it's towards the middle of the week and the pron might be a little slow after the big weekend.

That and I'm shamelessly hoping for a few samples to be sent my way. :wink:

If you buy a subscription, I will be more than happy to send you samples. Just PM me if you do. :cool:

This message goes to the first five that accomplish purchasing a subscription :cool:

Crash 06-02-2010 01:30 AM

D-Dogs BBQ rubs. http://www.ddogsbbq.com

The Peach Rub is phenomenal on Pork.

Spydermike72 06-02-2010 06:18 AM

Chicken: Plowboys yardbird
Pork Ribs: Cimmaron Docs
Pork Butt: 3Eyz and Smoking Guns
Beef: Smoking Guns Hot,Plowboys Bovine Bold
All Purpose: Plowboys, 3Eyz, Big Bob Gibsons's

Sean "Puffy" Coals 06-02-2010 08:06 AM

I don't use any otc rubs. They always seem a little... homogenized? generic? I'd probably like some of the rubs from the bretheren if I ever got the chance to try them. They're rubs by REAL BBQ cooks.

The best rub I've found so far is my dynamite rib rub. It's sweet and savory with a little bit of herbyness and a little kick to it. Although I'm definitely biased.

I shudder at the sound of the words "all-purpose rub." For some reason, it sounds contradictory to me. I prefer rubs that are specialized to each type of BBQ- ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc...

Bbq Bubba 06-02-2010 08:22 AM

Don't forget Butcher BBQ products! :thumb:

bottomsupbbq 06-02-2010 08:47 AM

Rubs

Plowboys Yard Bird, Bovine Bold. And of course Bottoms Up BBQ Rub!!:-D

early mornin' smokin' 06-02-2010 09:08 AM

Plowboys, simply marvelous, bge Pecan, all the slabs rubs, and obie-cue