The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My son's 1st birthday party, cooking for 53, numbers check please (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166383)

B-More BBQ Junkie 07-20-2013 11:04 AM

My son's 1st birthday party, cooking for 53, numbers check please

There is going to be 53 people (>2 yrs old) and my plan is to make pit beef and pulled pork as the entrees, with cole slaw, macaroni/shrimp salad, and fruit salad for sides. For the fixings for the pulled pork and pit beef, I'm going to have rolls, bbq sauce, horseradish, and onion. Also gonna have chips, pretzels, and french onion dip for munchies. My plan is to cook the pork the night before, and the pit beef the morning of the party.
I am assuming about 6 ounces of cooked meat per serving/sandwich, so that gives me about 20 lbs. cooked weight (# of guests * 6 oz per serving), or 40 lbs raw meat.
What is a good way to figure out how many servings total to make, because there is no way in hell that every single person there is going to have two six ounce sandwiches. My initial thoughts were something like getting 30 lbs of butts and 30 lbs beef, which will effectively be enough for three 6-once sandwiches for every two people.
Thoughts?

Pyle's BBQ 07-20-2013 05:45 PM

I am not sure on the yield for pit beef, but it will be more than 50%. You number for the pulled pork is fine. If you feel comfortable with those numbers, go for it. All the leftovers will freeze for a later date.

thunter 07-24-2013 12:41 PM

Based on a 60% yield after cooking, 30 lbs. of raw for each of those meats sound perfect. That is actually enough for 58 people according to my calculator, so you should be golden! :thumb:

bizznessman 07-24-2013 03:44 PM

First off you will never be able to know what every individual will want/eat. Since this is for family, and not a contracted catered event, I would make extra to ensure that there is plenty for all. You can always take any leftover amounts home and enjoy your Q for a few more days!!! :grin:

Our formula (brisket or pork) for this type of event is to use a 50% weight loss in cooking and add a 20% buffer on top of that. For 53 folks @ 6 oz servings each you need 318 oz cooked (just under 20lbs). Double that (40 lbs) and add 20% (8 lbs) for a total of 48 lbs raw weight. This will yield approx 64, 6 oz servings (cooked).

As for the mix of beef/pork this is again almost impossible to hit dead on. In our area beef is KING. With that being said we do events where we cook a 50/05 mix and sell out of pork early :doh:. It depends on your area and peoples personal tastes. Also, even though we may sell out of one of the meats first we have NEVER had anyone turn away saying they will not "settle" for the one we still have (our Q is THAT GOOD...lol). I would suggest a 50/50 mix and just let the chips fall where they may. Therefore 24 lbs (raw) brisket and 24 lbs (raw) pork. Using the product we have in our area that would equate to 2 briskets and 3 butts (your mileage may vary concerning raw weight of butts/briskets).

It sounds like you have the sides covered and sounds like a nice spread you have planned. Let us know how it turns out!!