The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Turkey neck anyone? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147994)

tish 11-19-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wampus (Post 2275694)
I always use them for GIBLET GRAVY

I just put the neck and giblets in a saucepan whole with some chopped celery and onion, S&P. I slowly simmer all that for a couple of hours at least. I just put it on when I'm done prepping the bird.

After they've cooked long enough where the neck meat falls or is easily pulled off the bone, I'll remove all the neck mean and finely mince up all the neck and giblet meat. I use the heart and liver, but not the gizzard (that's just how Mom taught me ?).

Make a roux with the liquid, onion salt & celery that's left in the pan by adding butter and flour and browning slowly for a bit. Put in drippings from the turkey or chicken stock and the giblets and bring to a boil until the roux thickens the gravy. I like to add the stock or dirppings slowly until it's thin enough to not be too thin. Simmer until dinner time.

Same as above, but I add carrots and a bay leaf to the neck, giblets, celery, and onion. After completing the gravy, I pour it in a blender with the veggies, and meaty bits, and pulse a few time until it's smooth. Delicious stuff! :wink:

Dr_KY 11-19-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 2274792)
Turkey stock/bouillon/soup/stew/gravy.

Same here.

realspaazz 11-19-2012 04:58 PM

I toss the necks on the smoker with the whole bird. Later it goes in the soup pot with all of the bones and some of the leftover meat. Smoked turkey soup is amazing.

Gnaws on Pigs 11-19-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juslearning (Post 2275214)
Hell I know Cade. He has a sister named Melony. We weren't tight growing up but knew each other. I didn't know he was still around here. Haven't seen him years.

PM me sometime when you coming down. I'd like to see Chris sometime.

He's living and teaching school in Abeville. PM me your name, and I'll tell him you asked about him.

deadeye531 11-19-2012 09:21 PM

Wampus, do you simmer that in water or stock? I'm fixing 5 turkeys this year and have plenty of gibblets and becks to work with and want to try a bit different gravy. Will also be making red eye gravy also.

juslearning 11-19-2012 11:08 PM

Thanks guys!!

frognot 11-20-2012 03:53 AM

I smoke em & save them for use in gumbo.

Wampus 11-20-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadeye531 (Post 2276261)
Wampus, do you simmer that in water or stock? I'm fixing 5 turkeys this year and have plenty of gibblets and becks to work with and want to try a bit different gravy. Will also be making red eye gravy also.

I just use water. Put veg and meat in a pot, cover with water and let it simmer.

This year I think I'll do like tish said and add some carrot and a bay leave too. Mom usually does the gravy. I just started playing with it last year.

Mom usually made it chunky and just finely chopped the giblets with a knife. A couple of weeks ago I used a immersion blender in the pot to chop it all up to smooth it. The kids complain about the chunkiness.