The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What got you into catering? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95726)

CUTigerQ 11-19-2010 09:24 AM

What got you into catering?

I am wanting to cater my BBQ as well as compete and do festivals in the fall. What got you guys into it? Would you just cater or would you do festivals as well? I really want to make a career out of my Q, but have decided that a restaurant is just too risky at the moment but catering could be just what I wanted to do. Not looking to get rich, just want to do what i love to do.

Any thoughts?

Dr_KY 11-20-2010 10:52 AM

The love of food and the loss of an income got me started. I started out doing weekends at the local pub then when I was made redundant the only way to make any cash was with BBQ so we started looking at festivals, weddings and other special events. It's not a full time gig and I'm back in a job but I don't think I will ever give up the Q.

Brauma 11-20-2010 11:46 AM

We've now catered just enough to know it's not for us. Our intention is, as it has always been, to earn enough $ to pay for our competition habit. I have never felt that we can charge enough to cover all the time that goes into catering. So, we have been working the drop-off or pick-up orders and it's doing fairly well for us.

Dr_KY 11-20-2010 12:42 PM

True I have a drop off tonight and man it feels good to let the cooker do the work while sleeping all day then getting up in time to pack and deliver three miles away and returning home.

JD McGee 11-20-2010 12:54 PM

Everyone that has tasted our BBQ at competitions asking if we cater...:becky:

txschutte 11-20-2010 02:53 PM

Because chicks dig a fat middle aged man with a badarse smoker...

PorkQPine 11-21-2010 01:11 PM

I love BBQ, love to smoke BBQ and I lost my mind.

Meadmaker 12-03-2010 12:21 PM

I worked in food service, since I was a teenager. Did the culinary school thing, and worked as an executive chef for a couple of years, which included some catering.

I had 2 heart attacks several years back, and had to quit the high pressure of the chefs job, due to doctors orders. After six months of trying to figure out what to do with my life, I opened a roadside BBQ stand. A logical offspring from that, and much more lucrative, was the catering. I have been doing both now, for 4+ years, and love it. :cool:

Wouldn't change a thing.

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)
P.S. My doctor, says that I am back in 100% form.

jbrink01 12-04-2010 07:31 AM

5 years ago we were selling BBQ roadside at my recently departed Dad's vending spot (he sold vegetables and pumpkins from our farm). People kept asking if we catered. We do now!

HBMTN 12-04-2010 04:42 PM

We built a large BBQ smoker after years of Chargrillers and cheapo's. In the process we decided to enter a BBQ competition and loved it. After a few years competing all the locals would always ask if we would cater for them and not being legal we always said no. After putting a lot of thought into it and looking for extra ways to make income we decided to take the plunge. Best thing I ever did, I love it and can't wait for spring!

Mister Bob 12-10-2010 10:04 AM

Hoping to make enough money to support my Competition BBQ addiction!

grillfella 12-21-2010 05:26 PM

love of the game. I am lucky to have a flexable job with the city which allows me to do both.

C Rocke 12-21-2010 07:42 PM

Still trying to figure out why and how i did it...

armor 12-22-2010 07:08 AM

Just asked myself that question before I took this break to sit down. It's 8am and I have been cooking since 4am after all day yesterday as well. Just finished the 6th gal of baked beans. We have PP, brisket, ribs, slaw, Psalad,
and coconut flavored rum cake. Three parties to deliver to today. This is a part time gig. It sure is a lot of work. Sometimes there is no joy and other times I love it. Not loving it today.
YOU GUYS HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Rodsboots 12-30-2010 10:48 AM

This is great! I've been sitting behind a computer for 11 years now. I cook on the weekends and Love cooking for people. my ribs are fantastic (toot toot), I did one Highschool Party for about 70 people and fell in love with it.
I'm on my way to catering and looking to do roadside for a while. it's just so dang hard to give up a good job....