Grainy BBQ Sauce?

Jbomb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was making my own sauce today wich I have done many times but for some reason this time it has come out a little grainy. I can't really figure out why. I put in the dry stuff with apple cider vinegar and boil. Then add the rest. But for some reason it is like alot didn't disolve. Any ideas why this could happen?

Maybe reduce the amount of dry grainy stuff you put into it. Any liquid, in your case cider vinegar, can only hold a certain amount of items dissolved into solution.

For example, if you boil water and continue to cup after cup of salt you will eventually reach a point where the salt will stop dissolving. In a thicker liquid like BBQ sauce, anything that isn't dissolved will end up giving it a grainy texture.

Hope that helps.

Blend it on high with a Cup of ice then reduce it back to the original consistency.

JBomb - were you able to resolve your grainy issue? I have the same problem. I've tried multiple recipes, and each time my BBQ sauce is grainy. It tastes great, but it's not the texture I'm aiming to achieve. I see others posting about the same issue, but no one really seems to know how to fix it.

When you say grainy, do you mean that the spices and such are not breaking down? One way to deal with that is to use a finer grind of spices. But, you will need to convert your recipes to weights, and adjust some of the spices. A much finer grain of spices will make it smoother.

I tend to sieve my sauces, through a very fine mesh wire strainer to get any lumps or grains that did not dissolve out of the sauce.

It would be very hard to say without seeing ingredients. I tracked it down to the ketchup I used on one occasion. Also got one of those hand held stick mixers for Christmas. It seemed to help a lot.

if you're using granulated onion or garlic instead of powder the granulated will "bloom" or puff up when in liquid....try like Landarc says.....finer powders.......

I'm actually looking to achieve a "grainy" sauce. I love the sauce at Arthur Bryant's in KC that has a grainy texture for it.

Back