smoking bologna question

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Okay, I'm about to smoke my first 5# of bologna. Any advice wrt: temps, etc.? Thanks.

Dan, they don't really benefit from a real low smoke (in my opinion) For me the main thing is getting the smoke to the middle of the chub. I've tried making holes into the bologna to get the smoke to the center.. My favorite way is to score the bologna..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60224

slicing and smoking is another good way to get the smoke into the meat.
Dry rubs and Q sauce are good too.

hmmmm.... I'm not really any help at all! lol Have fun with it! :becky:

Thanks, Jeanie, I'll try putting some scores across it.

Dan I like to score it and rub it with Olive Oil and BBQ Rub....
attachment.php

Then Smoke it around 225-235 until it reaches 145* internal....
Chub_Smoke15.jpg

Thanks, Nate, that looks great. I have already put it on. I did score it with several deep cuts just as if I were slicing it - stopping about half way through (only sliced through the top half) if that makes sense. I decided to try it this time without rub, as I wanted to try it "plain" - figuring I can add a bit of rub if/when I fry some of it.
Do you cook it to 165 internal, or does it really matter?

It's already cooked so the temp is what you want. I liked to cube like burnt ends after smoking and put in a pan with more rub and some sauce or about an hour. Kind of bologna burnt ends. Great on a sammy.

It's already cooked so the temp is what you want. I liked to cube like burnt ends after smoking and put in a pan with more rub and some sauce or about an hour. Kind of bologna burnt ends. Great on a sammy.
That sounds pretty tasty, I normally think along the lines of slices.

Chubs are big here in Tx we call em Bolo I usually score mine like Nate but I dont rub em, internal of about 150 and you got good eats.

Thanks everyone. I'm try the burnt end idea along with some slices. I appreciate all the input.

Oooooooo! Thanks for the thread Dan! I just got a two pound chub a few days ago and was wondering myself on how to treat it. Great ideas all!

Oh, heck yeah, it rocks!

Pulled the bologna after about three hours at 250 (did get up to 300 at the very first, before I shut airflow). Sliced the ends to make burnt ends. They are on now.

Took a slice and fried it in a frying pan until crisp, then a couple of over easy eggs. Excellent lunch! I give it two thumbs up. Thanks for all the help.

I wish I had our camera, because it turned out with nice smoke throughout - and sitting on the plate with over easy eggs was a good sight :)

Back