The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Apple Juice and "Southern Comfort" as a spray/mop? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8391)

The_Kapn 06-04-2004 06:34 PM

Apple Juice and "Southern Comfort" as a spray/mop?

I just gotta ask.
Q'ing on Sunday. Pork and Poultry.
I have become a fan of Apple Juice as a spray. Works wonderful.
Y'all have trumpeted Apple Juice and Bourbon.
Sounds great and logical to me, but:
I don't have any Bourbon.
But I am looking at a bottle of unopened "Southern Comfort" from my "Me and Bobby McGee" days :D
Now, Southern Comfort is sweet and my "gut" is it would be a good mix with apple juice. Maybe 75/25 AJ to SC. Maybe more!
So: anyone try it before?
Anyone want to say "stop you fool" before I destroy $50 worth of meat for me and the neighbors?
Anyone just want to let me hang myself so I can add to the "screw-ups" threads on Monday?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
TIM

Bigmofo300lbs 06-04-2004 07:10 PM

Quote:

But I am looking at a bottle of unopened "Southern Comfort" from my "Me and Bobby McGee" days
Now, Southern Comfort is sweet and my "gut" is it would be a good mix with apple juice. Maybe 75/25 AJ to SC. Maybe more!

I have never done that before but I am with you. I think it would be a good mix. And your ratio is about how I would do it. Give it a shot. And if it doesn't work....you never heard this from me.

The_Kapn 06-04-2004 08:28 PM

BigMoFo300lbs wrote:
Quote:

And if it doesn't work....you never heard this from me.
I think the politicans call that "plausable denialabilty", or something like that! :D
But I will take it as "on track".
Thanks a million,
TIM

BBQchef33 06-04-2004 10:51 PM

i used apple brandy once.. and it carmelized on the ribs.. was good, but slightly burnt. Southern comfort may do the same thing. Just watch out for it browning or carmelizing.. I'd just be careful with the sweet based stuff.

auscos 06-04-2004 11:01 PM

Try it out. Maybe the ghost of Janis Joplin will join the party.

Edit to Add:

At the very least, its better than drinking it!

parrothead 06-05-2004 07:46 AM

Experiment on the grill today with some chicken or something. That will let ya know how it tastes.

I use 50/50 apple juice and whiskey.

tommykendall 06-05-2004 11:52 AM

Sounds like a great idea - I'll give it a try cuz I never have boubon in the house but always have So Comfort.

The_Kapn 06-06-2004 09:09 PM

OK--here is what happened.
The feedback was split, so I split the load-50% AJ and 50% AJ plus SC. Spares and Butts were the bulk of the load. Some poultry and a fatty on the side.
Phil hit it on the head:
Quote:

used apple brandy once.. and it carmelized on the ribs.. was good, but slightly burnt. Southern comfort may do the same thing. Just watch out for it browning or carmelizing.. I'd just be careful with the sweet based stuff.
At 25%, the SC forms a medium to dark brown carmel. Wound up very tasty and not a problem at all. Shiny surface. However, no burning at 200-225 rack temps. I could see it burning at anything higher.
One neighbor actually picked up the flavor--"...reminds me of Southern Comfort!" Kool :D I was impressed with the identifiable flavor, even at 25%.
So, I think it is fine at 10-15% for a bit of carmel, shine, and flavor.
At anything over 25-30%, bring out "Pearl" and Janis and Jimi will stop by :D
Low temps help. My gut tells me that most "fancy liquers" (sp?) would work similar.
For what it is worth--
TIM

nthole 06-06-2004 11:07 PM

I almost always use 2 parts apple juice, 1 part JD, and .5 part oil.

Solidkick 06-06-2004 11:57 PM

I like my Southern Comfort with Coca Cola, but then again, when I use (drink) it, I tend to get naked............

BBQchef33 06-07-2004 12:55 AM

Quote:

OK--here is what happened.
The feedback was split, so I split the load-50% AJ and 50% AJ plus SC. Spares and Butts were the bulk of the load. Some poultry and a fatty on the side.
Phil hit it on the head:
Quote:
used apple brandy once.. and it carmelized on the ribs.. was good, but slightly burnt. Southern comfort may do the same thing. Just watch out for it browning or carmelizing.. I'd just be careful with the sweet based stuff.

not bad for a lurker huh? :wink:

all the sweet stuff will give a nice glaze.. higher temps will even give ya a crunch. Think if anything, i would go for the glazing mixture at the higher concentration within the last hour or so and just use AJ during the duration of the cook.

Still like the Bourbon best though.

parrothead 06-07-2004 07:37 AM

Quote:

I like my Southern Comfort with Coca Cola, but then again, when I use (drink) it, I tend to get naked............
Note to self: Lock up the Southern Comfort if Solidkick makes it up for the Sep. bash.