The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What do you do with competition leftovers? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64477)

Ron_L 07-01-2009 06:14 PM

What do you do with competition leftovers?

What do other do with the meat that is left after a competition? I've been freezing some and giving some to friends and relatives, but the freezer and the friends and relatives are full :-D

I've seen a couple of references to selling the leftovers. How much do you charge, how to you package it and how do you find buyers? Also, any health department issues?

Just curious.

Plowboy 07-01-2009 06:16 PM

I store them in my freezer and use them for vending and catering. Right now, my freezer is empty.

Food pantries are a good option.

Scottie 07-01-2009 06:29 PM

I vacuum seal it and throw it in the freezer. My girls now sell it at our golf outing for $10 a pound and it all goes to the foundation. It sells out every year.

I also sell a few contests to some guys at work. They completely overpay, but they do it as a sponsorship kind of thing for my team. So I usually will cook a few extra racks of ribs for those.

Also give some to my peeps at the beef plant where I get my briskets.

I can tell you one thing for sure. I do not eat any of it! Even though I break them down into nice little 1 pound packages.

Scottie

n-2-que 07-01-2009 06:45 PM

We feed the wifes employees our way of making them all happy.

The Pickled Pig 07-01-2009 07:05 PM

We throw chicken out, save some of the rest for team parties, and give some to friends and family.

Rub 07-01-2009 07:49 PM

I packaged mine up and gave them to my fuel sponsor last year. Worked out real nice, but of course he's dropped me now. Suppose it was the food? :confused: :icon_bugeyed

Now I pack it up, freeze some, eat some for lunches at work, give away the rest.

Smokin Mike 07-01-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 962958)
We throw chicken out, save some of the rest for team parties, and give some to friends and family.

that is what I do usually, :icon_cool

Sidw 07-01-2009 08:57 PM

Take it home and freezer pack it. Eat some on nights I stay up later than I should - give some to family or friends - really need to find a shelter or mission to give it to.

Jacked UP BBQ 07-01-2009 09:12 PM

I vend so I sell it at the comp the day of, if not i freeze for the next gig. i also buy from any reputable teams that have left overs.

warfrat 07-01-2009 11:01 PM

After I have my traditional Sunday afternoon brisket sandwich :wink: I share some with friends/family/co-workers and freeze the rest, though I don't know why? :-? Before I started doing these competitions I actually liked to eat BBQ all the time but now I just can't indulge like I used to. Hmmm...:sad:

fil 07-01-2009 11:06 PM

We stop by the pool hall that sponsors some of our stuff and toss it on the bar and get the heck out of the way. They love it when we do a contest lol.

fil

Rick's Tropical Delight 07-02-2009 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 962958)

why do you throw the chicken out?

Diva Q 07-02-2009 07:15 AM

I use a lot of it in different recipes. This weeks menu included brisket bites in gravy with mashed potatoes, burn ends in tomato sauce with spaghetti and shredded chicken fajitas.

I do give away a bunch to the Traeger guys. Plus small catering jobs are filled from the reserves in the freezer.

Bill-Chicago 07-02-2009 07:15 AM

Have you thought about shrink wrapping and giving a call to Hesed House in Aurora.

I bet they would not only accept it, but give you a receipt as well.

Feeding hungry people with left over quality food, and a tax deduction all in one swing.

There are also 2 other food banks/missions in the area, but the names escape me.

I don't think Batavia has that problem :wink:

Diva Q 07-02-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98 (Post 963220)
Have you thought about shrink wrapping and giving a call to Hesed House in Aurora.

I bet they would not only accept it, but give you a receipt as well.

Feeding hungry people with left over quality food, and a tax deduction all in one swing.

There are also 2 other food banks/missions in the area, but the names escape me.

I don't think Batavia has that problem :wink:

Last year we approached two organizations about donating the leftover meat. We were tuned down both times as they could not guarantee the premises and did not want to take on any liability.