Turning your Kettle into a Pellet Pooper!

I think these came out about three years ago. I was pretty interested in them, thought about getting one for my Cajun Bandit, and thought they'd catch on. They didn't. I remember hearing good things about them, but that was a while ago.

dmp

Looks interesting. If I had the money to risk, I'd give it a try. But, for 350 bucks, I wouldn't want to be the first person I know to buy one.

CD

Those look pretty cool. I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone that's used one.

Eric

Looks interesting but pricey. Anyone have any experience with one or one like it?

I remember seeing those a couple of years ago. Never really impressed me. I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing this thing, especially since I've never used one. However, for that price, I think I'd just get a Traeger Junior. Kettles are for charcoal, not pellets.

Matt

The problem with pellet smokers is the cost of the pellets. A 1LB bag at Walmart is $5.99.
So by the time you do the smoking, it could cost quite a lot. I am able to get a 1kg bag of hickory sawdust for $4.90 which is more reasonable for my location. I would say that the wood cost is one of the most important things to consider for buying any smoker.

Reading the instructions for lighting it, seems like a pain in the butt. Also, not showing a picture of the control surface makes me a little leary.

I have been a 100% pellet guy since 2007 and have never looked back.

But...I can not see any advantage to converting a Weber to pellets!!
Charcoal/chunks is a wonderful way to cook.
Really hard to improve on that, IMHO,

I would "pass" on any such conversion.

If ya wanna cook with pellets--just buy a pellet cooker--don't "Jerry Rig"! 8)

TIM

yea, they started showing up in sacramento craiglist and then expanded out.
not sure why a kettle needs something like that but the price is a turnoff.

The problem with pellet smokers is the cost of the pellets. A 1LB bag at Walmart is $5.99.

FYI -

I can buy Traeger pellets in 20lb bags for a little over $8.00 per bag.
That's 40 cents a lb. Even at full retail, the Traeger pellets are under $1.00 per lb.

Back