Gas Mask? Seriously!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I fired up my Jambo yesterday and cooked some ribs and brisket. The nature of the all wood cooking beast results in a lot of smoke. The hair on my right arm has been singed off and I have had a sinus headache all freaking day due to the smoke that I had to contend with from the cook.

Here is the question, do any of the brethren use a gas mask and filter when cooking using all wood? I'm seriously considering it. The pain in my sinuses from the smoke isn't enough to make me stop barbecuing meat but it is enough to make me start looking for solutions.

I know a couple of guys (nationally known, BTW) who are very sensitive to the smoke from their smokers. One of them has resorted to a gas mask. The other one hasn't that I know of so far.

So, anyone else considering a gas mask?

Smaller hotter fires

My fires were pretty small. I cook all wood in a Jambo. The insulated firebox doesn't require a lot of fuel but you do need to add a log about every hour or so.

I had one small oak or hickory log (I rotated wood during this cook) at a time. I cook using a clean fire too. But, there is still enough smoke to play havock with my sinuses.

Baby steps bro. Wouldn't one of those small plastic mask (Like doctors wear in surgery) work before going to a full blown gas mark?

Baby steps bro. Wouldn't one of those small plastic mask (Like doctors wear in surgery) work before going to a full blown gas mark?

It might help my sinuses. I have a 3M mask that's pretty efficient. But, it doesn't have any eye protection. But, my eyes aren't the problem. So, perhaps you are right, bro.

I will give the 3M mask a try next time I fire up the Jambo.

It might help my sinuses. I have a 3M mask that's pretty efficient. But, it doesn't have any eye protection. But, my eyes aren't the problem. So, perhaps you are right, bro.

I will give the 3M mask a try next time I fire up the Jambo.

They are what I used to cut lawns...I've got horrible hay fever.

That was a long time ago though...bought, er, married, a wife who enjoys yardwork! :becky:

Do you have you firebox upwind?

Yep, as much as is practical. The problem comes in when I open the smoker doors. The smoke is clear when I'm cooking but it's also pretty intense when I have to spritz or flip the meat.

Yep, as much as is practical. The problem comes in when I open the smoker doors. The smoke is clear when I'm cooking but it's also pretty intense when I have to spritz or flip the meat.
Well what you can do is ship it to me and let me do some research and i will let you what i come up with:thumb:

Somewhere buried within the Brethren archives... dealt with a swimming snorkel and mask!

CraigNM.jpg

Well since the Jambo's a mighty fine smoker I'd say you better get a mask that's comfortable since you should be wearing it often.

Can you place one of those "box fans" to blow the smoke away?

TIM

Many all wood spots use gas masks - Mitchell's (NC) does, Franklin's (TX), Hites (SC) etc.

I think Aaron Franklin originally didn't use one, might still not, but developed a persistent cough that doesn't go away with time.

Worth looking into.

:idea:Nasal clip used for swimming; cheap effective highly portable and you don't give everyone the impression from a distance that your stuff sucks so bad you need that apparatus to be near it.:heh:

Better to be safe than sorry. I have COPD (from different kind of smoke) so I'm getting a mask for smoking. Fighting for air really sucks and while you are younger, you may feel you are immune or maybe tough enough to handle some discomfort. But if you are exposed to prolonged smoke frequently and COPD hits you down, you'll really really wish you'd made some different choices way back when. For anyone noticing serious irritation when smoking, time to get smart!

Okay, off my soap box and back to slicing the bacon we smoked a couple days ago! :clap:

Back