The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MSG Seasoned Ground Chuck Cheeseburgers (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151608)

Stoke&Smoke 01-16-2013 10:19 AM

Why buy msg by mail? Don't they have Accent in the spice aisle of your supermarket?

Why not add a little worchestershire to your meat? Or some chopped and sauteed ****aki shrooms? Hmm, does shidaki work?

:confused:

John Bowen 01-16-2013 10:55 AM

Has anyone had any issues with the MSG (when sprinkled on the surface) making the bark / crust soft or mushy?
Sorry for throwing out such a high tech term as “mushy”.

Skidder 01-16-2013 11:09 AM

I will never understand why ppl think msg is bad. It's all natural and if you Google it and find the tests that were done with and without some complained of headaches when there was none in the test food at all. I use it in many things including my ruds. 1st place trophies don't lie. And never had a judge complain of a headache. Ppl are funny. It's an old wives tale in my book. Then again some are allergic to everything.

Yellowhair42 01-16-2013 11:16 AM

/\+1:clap:

jmoney7269 01-16-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 2330488)
Hmm, surprised you didn't suggest adding some peanut butter and anchovies :crazy:

Nice looking burgers bro. When ever we have people over for get togethers they always ask, man how did you get so much flavor into the meat.
There are multiple things that can be used to give a umami kick. My number one umami booster is red boat #40 fish sauce. It's super high quality stuff. It smells like catfish bait by itself but once cooked, it's completely gone. It's made from fermented anchovies. Want the best burger you have ever eaten in your entire life? Here is my best burger ever recipe. Umami kick from hell!

2 lbs fresh ground chuck 80/20
2T teriyaki (very underrated ingredient)
1t red boat #40 fish sauce
2t Tabasco chipotle
1T minced garlic
I like my burgers Med so I do not add egg for a binder.
Fold the ingredients into the meat well and refrigerate 4 hrs for the meat to tighten back up, then form patties.
Season with my J&J money seasoning on both sides like you would salt and grill high temp
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/b3717dc8.jpg

Midnight Smoke 01-16-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke (Post 2330537)
Why buy msg by mail? Don't they have Accent in the spice aisle of your supermarket?

I purchased this with little thought, saw it on Amazon and decided I wanted to give it a try. Found out about the Accent after the fact, not sure Accent is what I wanted anyway, commercial mix may have been okay, don't know. I wanted to add my own spices to the MSG to get the flavor burst I am looking for.

jmoney7269 01-16-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke (Post 2330678)
I purchased this with little thought, saw it on Amazon and decided I wanted to give it a try. Found out about the Accent after the fact, not sure Accent is what I wanted anyway, commercial mix may have been okay, don't know. I wanted to add my own spices to the MSG to get the flavor burst I am looking for.

You don't add spices to MSG, you add MSG to spices. Up to 5% by weight. A tsp per cup of rub is a good measurement. You can even punch it up more with disodium inosinate and guanulate for up to 20x the effect of MSG. Lol, why do you think so so so many people like plowboys, especially the yardbird? It's has them both.

Bill-Chicago 01-16-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke (Post 2330678)

If you stir the mixture with your gun, it will give you the flavor burst or "pop" you are looking for.

Some sort of scientific reaction between the MSG and the metal.

Midnight Smoke 01-16-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmoney7269 (Post 2330743)
why do you think so so so many people like plowboys, especially the yardbird? It's has them both.

I am not positive but I do Not think Plowboy's uses MSG

jmoney7269 01-16-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke (Post 2330758)

I am positive. You are correct in a sense, they do not, but they used to. Also I never said they Currently do. When I said the contain both, which is referring to the disodium insinate and guanulate. If they are used, the FDA requires them
To be listed as "natural" or "other" flavors. MSG doesn't even technically have to be listed if its used if its less than 5%.

K80Shooter 01-16-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke (Post 2330758)

According to the label No MSG & Gluten Free (Plowboys Yardbird = Good Stuff)

Midnight Smoke 01-16-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmoney7269 (Post 2330780)
I am positive. You are correct in a sense, they do not, but they used to. Also I never said they Currently do. When I said the contain both, which is referring to the disodium insinate and guanulate. If they are used, the FDA requires them
To be listed as "natural" or "other" flavors. MSG doesn't even technically have to be listed if its used if its less than 5%.

You really say a lot but not in a clear concise way. Maybe it is just me but I'm not sure what you feel is truth.

jacob 01-16-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 2330589)
I will never understand why ppl think msg is bad. It's all natural and if you Google it and find the tests that were done with and without some complained of headaches when there was none in the test food at all. I use it in many things including my ruds. 1st place trophies don't lie. And never had a judge complain of a headache. Ppl are funny. It's an old wives tale in my book. Then again some are allergic to everything.

What are ruds? :wink:

jmoney7269 01-16-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke (Post 2330796)
You really say a lot but not in a clear concise way. Maybe it is just me but I'm not sure what you feel is truth.

I know what the truth is, I just posted it. If you don't feel it is, your more than welcome to do your own research and find your own TRUTH. Just tryin to help a BBQ brotha out. :tsk:

NickTheGreat 01-16-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 2330589)

I finally had to break down and tell my gal that her Durkee rib rub had MSG in it. She really likes the stuff and took it pretty well :wacko: