The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UDS Build - My weber lid fits without modification? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152711)

ctfortner 01-30-2013 09:43 AM

UDS Build - My weber lid fits without modification?

I have a spare Weber lid and I kind of wanted to build a UDS and see what all the fuss is about, plus have a smoker that I can take with me places without much effort. I came across a reasonable priced barrel that was used for apple juice concentrate and brought it home this past weekend. I havent burned it out yet, but I did want to see how much modification I would have to do on the lid. It fits right on there like Weber made the barrel.

Is that unusual? I had been reading a couple of days on cutting the weber bottom of and adding to the drum, using metal strap, flatten the lip, etc... So I put the barrel top on the weber, its a perfect match also. I just thought was strange because I havent found any other threads saying theirs fit, so maybe I am missing something, but I dont know how it could fit any better than it does?

Mine has a yellowish tan liner in it, does it burn out easily? I am going to hit it with 2-3 pallets and I do have a weed burner also.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...psb1b7315d.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps7ff6b6b8.jpg

Cute couple

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...psfc85a22c.jpg

Liner

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps42db3a81.jpg

cpw 01-30-2013 09:45 AM

It all depends on the barrel. All I had to do was grind the outside edge of my barrel a bit (I had a closed top), and the lid fit like a glove. You just got lucky!

hav 01-30-2013 09:47 AM

You got lucky, most have to (including me) MacGyver something to get it to fit.

Congrats on the drum, now go burn it, scrape it, season it and get her ugly!

Bluesman 01-30-2013 09:48 AM

I believe many have found the lid to fit. Really depends on the barrel you get. The only problem you will run into to is the hot grease from the Weber lid rolling down the outside of your drum. The Weber lid fits inside the kettle. The Weber lid on a UDS fits outside the drum. Either way you'll have a great cooker. Now, burn it out get it clean and then get er dirty.

jrn 01-30-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2347600)
It all depends on the barrel. All I had to do was grind the outside edge of my barrel a bit (I had a closed top), and the lid fit like a glove. You just got lucky!

Mine too!

MisterChrister 01-30-2013 09:52 AM

Even if the worst case scenario presents itself and it's a tough paint to burn out it'll be well worth it for a drum that fits your lid like that. Just drill your intake holes before your burn out for good oxygen supply to the fire and you'll be good. Great score!

scm1226 01-30-2013 09:54 AM

Sweet Set up. Definitely save the top from the drum. I keep it on my kettle and use it as a table when I am smoking/grilling.

jrn 01-30-2013 09:56 AM

Oh yeah. Not sure if you'll ever want to use your original drum lid or not, but be aware that heat from a fire will warp it. Use a angle grinder with a wire wheel. Or if you decide to have your drum sandblasted, have the lid done too.

ctfortner 01-30-2013 09:59 AM

Sounds good, ready to get her dun. Anyone have experience with this liner? Wondering how bad its going to be to get cleaned out. I will save the top and just clean the coating off of it.

HankB 01-30-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 2347604)
The only problem you will run into to is the hot grease from the Weber lid rolling down the outside of your drum. The Weber lid fits inside the kettle.

to be pedantic...

The Weber lid fits the outside of their kettles. The lid on a WSM fits inside the middle section.

The lid on my mini-WSM does fit outside the middle section and moisture condenses on the inside of the lid and dribbles down the outside of the cooker just as you describe.

Neonnblack 01-30-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfortner (Post 2347627)
Sounds good, ready to get her dun. Anyone have experience with this liner? Wondering how bad its going to be to get cleaned out. I will save the top and just clean the coating off of it.

If you can drop the coin have it sandblasted, hands down. I tried (notice i said tried) to burn mine out no luck, after i burned it had to use a flap disc on a grinder http://www.preferredabrasives.com/im...LAP%20DISC.jpg and grind out the whole drum. Its dirty, it took me over an hour and i still had some left over in the "beads" around the drum. Have it sandblasted.

Bluesman 01-30-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2347632)
to be pedantic...

The Weber lid fits the outside of their kettles. The lid on a WSM fits inside the middle section.

The lid on my mini-WSM does fit outside the middle section and moisture condenses on the inside of the lid and dribbles down the outside of the cooker just as you describe.

:icon_blush: and I had to lookup "pendantic"............:tsk:

HankB 01-30-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 2347649)

:mrgreen: :biggrin1:

And thanks to me I bet you'll never forget that.

ctfortner 01-30-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 2347649)

I did to, and had to read the definition a couple of times. Better at cooking than big words I guess :mrgreen:

jrn 01-30-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neonnblack (Post 2347640)
If you can drop the coin have it sandblasted, hands down. I tried (notice i said tried) to burn mine out no luck, after i burned it had to use a flap disc on a grinder http://www.preferredabrasives.com/im...LAP%20DISC.jpg and grind out the whole drum. Its dirty, it took me over an hour and i still had some left over in the "beads" around the drum. Have it sandblasted.

I agree 100%. Good advice. I used the blue one. I'm thinking it was 60 grit. It worked awesome for grinding the lip on my closed top when I was fitting my lid. Conforms to a round surface better. Don't use a hard disk. I ruined my last drum like that.

I used the blue one the other day under my 4wd Dodge. Grinded the heads off of two hardened steel 9/16" bolts when I was swapping out control arms. The blue discs are bad to the bone. Got mine at lowes.

Bluesman 01-30-2013 10:34 AM

Can't wait to throw "pedantic" around this weekend with boys at the bar and get this look................:twitch:

chriscw81 01-30-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 2347663)
Can't wait to throw "pedantic" around this weekend with boys at the bar and get this look................:twitch:

Ok, now you're making me Google it :mrgreen:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Carbon 01-30-2013 12:01 PM

I learned a new word today! :)

Skidder 01-30-2013 12:16 PM

I've found a few barrels that if you turn them upside down and cut the bottom out but leave the rim they fit for some reason.

funugy 01-30-2013 02:31 PM

+1 for sandblasting.

Burning and grinding works if you have the time and patience. The work isn't hard, just time consuming.

That is really cool that the drum lid fits on the Weber, great idea of using it as a side table.

mcbrew13 01-30-2013 02:51 PM

I would try the weed burner first since you have one. It worked like a champ on my second one (first I burned with lumber = PITA). Weedburner, light soapy scrub with 3M pads and washed was way easier. Also takes care of the paint on the outside.

ctfortner 01-30-2013 03:33 PM

I am going to hit it with the weed burner just to see what happens. If it just falls off I may go that route. But I called a sand blasting place and he said sure no problem, building a smoker? haha guess its not a secret anymore. Said $25, done a bunch. paid $15 for the drum so probably be worth it huh?

jrn 01-30-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfortner (Post 2348008)
I am going to hit it with the weed burner just to see what happens. If it just falls off I may go that route. But I called a sand blasting place and he said sure no problem, building a smoker? haha guess its not a secret anymore. Said $25, done a bunch. paid $15 for the drum so probably be worth it huh?

$25 is by far the best price I've ever heard of. I generally see people on this site saying $40-60. I'd jump on that!

Johnny_Crunch 01-30-2013 04:41 PM

The barrels with all the ridges like the one you have pictured are smaller and not as heavy duty as the ones without. They will fit the Weber lid without modification.

J-Rod 01-30-2013 04:54 PM

You just got lucky is all, no two barrels are alike... well unless they're from the same manufacturer.

Personally I'd use the original lid from the barrel. It's made to fit, and like others said with the Weber lid you'll likely have grease and smoke splooge dripping down the outside of your drum. You won't get that with the lid because the lip fits the inside. If you're concerned about less headroom with the flat lid rest assured, if you put your rack 7-8" down you'll be able to fit a turkey in there laying flat.

There is also debate about different cooking characteristics, dome vs. flat lid, but that's a whole 'nuther thread. Mine cooks AWESOME with a flat lid and short chimney pipe.

Good luck either way. UDS's are the best!

Neonnblack 01-30-2013 07:06 PM

25 bucks is a good price, i'd jump. considering depending on your loc and price of propane, it might only be a few bucks more for blasting.

ctfortner 01-31-2013 09:20 AM

Well, now I have another decision. I was looking through my notes and completely forgot about a local place that sells reconditioned drums. I called them and for an unlined (but outside painted) drum and lid its $23. For a bare unlined and unpainted drum its $13 with lid.

I know my weber lid probably wouldnt fit anymore like it does the one I have now, paying $25 for sandblasting and already $15 in the current barrel, I should probably re-sell it and get the one ready to use and save money in the end.

@ J-rod - The main reason for the weber lid is having 2 grates. I am planning to make the drum lid and weber lid usable for the smoker. When I need 2 shelves use weber, all other times use drum lid. I will just see how it goes with the weber lid, if I dont like it I wont use it, nothing lost there it was free.

J-Rod 01-31-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfortner (Post 2348808)
Well, now I have another decision. I was looking through my notes and completely forgot about a local place that sells reconditioned drums. I called them and for an unlined (but outside painted) drum and lid its $23. For a bare unlined and unpainted drum its $13 with lid.

I know my weber lid probably wouldnt fit anymore like it does the one I have now, paying $25 for sandblasting and already $15 in the current barrel, I should probably re-sell it and get the one ready to use and save money in the end.

@ J-rod - The main reason for the weber lid is having 2 grates. I am planning to make the drum lid and weber lid usable for the smoker. When I need 2 shelves use weber, all other times use drum lid. I will just see how it goes with the weber lid, if I dont like it I wont use it, nothing lost there it was free.

Far out. FWIW there is still enough room in there for a second rack with a flat lid. I added one last year for those big cooks. Either way you'll love the UDS.

DEFINITELY go with the bare metal drum- for 25 bucks? Hell yeah. Removing liners is a pain in the ass!!!

Be sure to post pics when you're finished. We've all seen a million UDS's, but no two are identical!

Deeg 01-31-2013 05:38 PM

My Weber lid fit like a glove on my 30-gallon drum, which I believe is a standard size.

jrn 01-31-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deeg (Post 2349492)
My Weber lid fit like a glove on my 30-gallon drum, which I believe is a standard size.

Deeg is your 30 an open or closed top?

Deeg 01-31-2013 11:13 PM

Closed top--I had to cut out the top. I bought it for $20 at a place near Boston that sells reconditioned drums. I've bought 4 of them now and the Weber lid fits them all.

Pictures here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-drum-smoker/