Whole Snapper Pan Asian.. Mainly Thai Interpretation.

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
G'Day Bruces...:becky::becky::becky:

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend so far. My saturday was very busy with the Fish TD. I really wanted to do something special because it's also my wife's birthday today... You know what they say... "Happy Wife, Happy Life!"

Anyway, so Saturday Morning I went to the Asian Markets in Springvale and bought 2 Snapper from my favourite fish place. They were gutted and scaled there for me.

Here, they are with all the ingredients for the prep.

DSC_0039_882.jpg

Now, these Snapper are a little different to the species you get in Florida and through the Caribbean. These Snapper can get huge and develop large bumps on their heads when mature. They are fantastic fighting and eating fish and they are probably the number one fish I'm after when I go fishing.

Here's a close-up.

DSC_0044_883.jpg

I put all the ingredients in the mortar and pestle: I think they were as follows. Salt, Lemongrass, Achiote paste, tumeric, paprika, cumin seed, garlic, ginger, Thai Basil, Coriander, Szechuen Pepper corn, red chili, fish sauce, lime juice, and a little oil.
DSC_0048_884.jpg

And pounded away....
DSC_0055_885.jpg

Then I scored the fish with my seriously dangerous Japanese Knife, and rubbed in the paste.
DSC_0057_886.jpg

Then I took some macadamia nuts, roughly chopped them, mixed them in with the leftovers of the paste.
DSC_0060_887.jpg

And pressed that into the fish.
DSC_0061_888.jpg

At this point I called the fish above, my first fish, and the other fish became my "backup" fish. The first fish actually turned out fine. The backup fish still got munched, but didn't get the full treatment.

DSC_0062_889.jpg

Then Primary fish, and Backup Fish went onto the coals on the Firebox side. I had a nice fire of Oak going... more about that in another thread... I need some advice there brethren!

A bit more grilling....
DSC_0066_891.jpg

And then on the plate!
DSC_0080_892.jpg

This is where "backup fish" came in handy, because it went straight on the dinner table and was demolished by son #1 and son #2, and my Wife and Daughter.. while I got to fiddle around with some presentation.

Above, the fish was placed on a bed of Watercress and Thai Basil and topped with Coriander and Bean Shoots...

Then the Cantonese Style took over and I poured boiling hot Sesame Oil and Light Soy Sauce over the top.
DSC_0087_893.jpg

This then covers the fish and drains down to make a nice sauce on the plate...
DSC_0089_894.jpg

Then onto the table...
DSC_0093_896.jpg

And a closeup... cooked absolutely perfectly...nice and moist. No dryness at all and lovely flaky flesh...Tasted OK too!
DSC_0095_897.jpg

I do't have any pics of the left over bones. These are still under dispute by Son #1 and Son #2...

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Bill

I was afraid to open a thread by Bill with the words "whole snapper" in the title...

Looks good..

That looks amazing. I totally dig the Pan Asian theme.

I cooked the exact same species of fish today...

Good on ya mate!! I know, cheesy, I couldn't help it. Nice meal.

Wow... That is the way to do a Snapper....!!!! Looks great..

Wow! I am bowing in your direction, that all looks incredible! I cook a lot of Thai and Indian dishes, and would pay big money to munch down on that!
I'm with you on red snapper, it's one of my favorite fish. Amazing looking dish!

That looks incredible!!! I love Thai cooking and Thai fish is wonderful. Great job on your cook.

Back