• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cutting Brisket on the bias

jrbBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been having trouble finding briskets with thick flats this year. I was thinking about cutting them on the bias, but I didn't know if it would effect tenderness. I don't think it would, but I'd like to hear from people who do it or have done it in a competition. thanks.

I've seen it done but it's a lot harder to get consistent slices. Try it at home first.

I think you should try and report back the results. :caked:

QUOTE=jrbBBQ;2056378]I've been having trouble finding briskets with thick flats this year. I was thinking about cutting them on the bias, but I didn't know if it would effect tenderness. I don't think it would, but I'd like to hear from people who do it or have done it in a competition. thanks.[/QUOTE]

agree with Ford.. it would be more difficult to cut consistent slices.
It will also slightly affect the tenderness. Anytime you cut any way except right across the grain, you will "toughen up" the meat a bit. Not really, but that's the perception when it's tasted. It's a trick we sometimes use when our brisket or pork is a bit too tender. Cutting slightly off grain will allow a slice to stay together a bit more.

agree with Ford.. it would be more difficult to cut consistent slices.
It will also slightly affect the tenderness. Anytime you cut any way except right across the grain, you will "toughen up" the meat a bit. Not really, but that's the perception when it's tasted. It's a trick we sometimes use when our brisket or pork is a bit too tender. Cutting slightly off grain will allow a slice to stay together a bit more.

Bias slicing still cuts cross grain. Same cut line. I do it with flank steak for fajitas. It doesn't impact tenderness. But I don't care then if slices are same thickness as sometimes the knife angle is not the same top to edge.

It's across the grain, but not straight across. The fibers of meat are slightly longer when you cut on the bias, therefore it appears slightly less tender and holds together better. The same way you can cut slightly underdone brisket thinner and make it appear more tender, or slightly overdone brisket thicker to hold it together. It doesn't truly affect the tenderness, but the shorter the fibers the easier it pulls part and chews. Anything you do to lengthen the fibers alters the perceived tenderness.

Back