The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's Your Favorite SPG? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263126)

AKMIMNAK 07-26-2018 02:35 PM

What's Your Favorite SPG?

I'm about to compete in my first SCA Steak cookoff. I've tried Kosmos Texas Beef and Killer Hogs A.P. rub. Both are very different from each other, but I like both very much.

But what is your favorite SPG/base layer type rub, especially for beef?

WilliamKY 07-26-2018 02:51 PM

Lawry's Total Seasoning. For awhile I didn't even realize it didn't have pepper in it. It's garlic,onion,salt,oregano,parsley, and cilantro. Dont be fooled because it's mass produced. It's VERY good.

Rockinar 07-26-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK (Post 4040286)
I'm about to compete in my first SCA Steak cookoff. I've tried Kosmos Texas Beef and Killer Hogs A.P. rub. Both are very different from each other, but I like both very much.

But what is your favorite SPG/base layer type rub, especially for beef?

I did one SCA event and got 9th out of 44 teams. I cooked indirect on a Kettle with Slow & Sear using flaming mesquite chunks. Cook direct to get the grill marks, then moved to indirect to finish. I used a 50/50 mix of Sucklebusters SPG and Adkins Ranch Style Steak Seasoning (I got at HEB).

People were marinating their steaks in all kinds of junk, and tying them up with cooking twine to "shape" them. I did nothing. I literally sat there and did nothing while watching people trim and tie their steaks for an hour. I took 4 minutes and trimmed a tad bit of fat off and edge and sprinkled a little of my seasoning mix on on both sides. That's it.

I'd keep it simple and don't over complicate it. When I saw people tying with strings I was thinking "Crap, I may be out of my league". I saw none of the string tying people around me get calls. In the end I beat them all. I think good flavor beats a steak that looks like it was stamped out.

Your milage may vary.

AKMIMNAK 07-26-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinar (Post 4040401)
I did one SCA event and got 9th out of 44 teams. I cooked indirect on a Kettle with Slow & Sear using flaming mesquite chunks. Cook direct to get the grill marks, then moved to indirect to finish. I used a 50/50 mix of Sucklebusters SPG and Adkins Ranch Style Steak Seasoning (I got at HEB).

People were marinating their steaks in all kinds of junk, and tying them up with cooking twine to "shape" them. I did nothing. I literally sat there and did nothing while watching people trim and tie their steaks for an hour. I took 4 minutes and trimmed a tad bit of fat off and edge and sprinkled a little of my seasoning mix on on both sides. That's it.

I'd keep it simple and don't over complicate it. When I saw people tying with strings I was thinking "Crap, I may be out of my league". I saw none of the string tying people around me get calls. In the end I beat them all. I think good flavor beats a steak that looks like it was stamped out.

Your milage may vary.

I totally agree. No way I'm doing string or food glue or any other of that garbage. If looks were the primary criteria, I would not even enter. I love that SCA allows no garnish in the box. I wish KCBS would get rid of that mess too. Flavor is King. Texture is important. Appearance is for the French. Vive la tastery! 😀

IamMadMan 07-26-2018 07:17 PM

My two favorite steak seasonings are;
1) Ted and Barney's Meat Seasoning
2) Oakridge Carne Crosta

The Oakridge Carne Crosta needs to be cooked over hot coals to give it that wonderful crust full of flavor.

razorbrewer 07-26-2018 07:23 PM

SPG? Salt, pepper, garlic?

Baychilla 07-26-2018 07:35 PM

Yes.

EyeBurnEverything 07-26-2018 07:43 PM

SPG is SPG. Unless you are asking what brand of salt, pepper, and garlic is my favorite.

smoke ninja 07-26-2018 07:57 PM

Q-salt

I ordered it when I tried harvest brine and have been surprised how much I enjoyed it

Rib bonez 07-26-2018 08:21 PM

Been contemplating on the Q salt. Does it resemble any other product? So many of the Canadian steak rubs are too similar. Hate to add another bottle of rub that is similar to one
I already have.

smoke ninja 07-26-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rib bonez (Post 4040481)
Been contemplating on the Q salt. Does it resemble any other product? So many of the Canadian steak rubs are too similar. Hate to add another bottle of rub that is similar to one
I already have.

Its glorified s&p but much more. Its grind size and taste works well for bbq and grilling it's not Montreal steak season.

Worth a try to support a brethren

LYU370 07-26-2018 10:26 PM

407 BBQ Rub. My new favorite for beef. Better than SM Peppered Cow which was my previous favorite for beef.

Cook 07-27-2018 06:43 AM

Anything other than SPG is not SPG...really

jasonjax 07-27-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook (Post 4040611)
Anything other than SPG is not SPG...really

Yeah, but I think we understand the spirit of the thread.

For instance, my favorite SPG (based rub) is John Henry's Garlic Mojave.

AKMIMNAK 07-27-2018 01:13 PM

I mean if you're gonna nitpick the wording, AT LEAST give us your S P G ratio!! :)