Nectarine Wood

K

kcquer

A co-worker is bringing me trimmings from 2 peach and one nectarine tree.

Anyone know anything about nectarine trees?

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_folder/Fruits/Nectarine.html

The nectarine got its start in China as a genetic variant of the common peach and is not, as some believe, the consequence of a cross between a peach and a plum. One Chinese emperor was so enthralled with nectarines that he and his people referred to them as the "nectar of the gods."

Go for it!

I had some twigs from it a year or so ago-- very sweet smelling smoke. Actually, I used it once in the stovetop smoker and it was so perfume-like it was too much. Tasted mild, though. That's twigs, though, I don't know about sticks....

If it's fruit wood...

If it's fruit wood then it should be good. In Kansas some old time BQ cooks even use hedge wood. We also use lots of pear wood. There are lots of pear trees that have been down in the woods for several years and are ripe for the gathering.

As it turned out, all the wood I got from the trimming was from a nectarine tree.

I got some small trimmings and a few good sized logs (6" dia). The logs were from a branch that had broken off early last summer and had been dangling from the tree since.

I burned a chunk of both the big stuff and the smaller stuff sunday. Great smelling stuff, didn't use enough on the p-rib I cooked to have any sense of flavor, but I'm sure the stuff is dry enough to cook with and I'm ready to see what it does in more substantial doses. The smell while warming on the firebox was awesome, this would seem to be really good stuff.

Back