Gasket on a Kamado - Opinions Needed

estepel13

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for any advice or user reviews on two specific gaskets for a kamado cooker.

1. The Rutland gasket
2. Permatex Ultra Copper RTV (as seen here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/permatex.htm)

I've tried to do some searching on these two and noticed there's not a lot of info post-2011. If anyone has experience with either of these two, could you chime in please? And if anyone still has their gasket from 2011 going strong, I might be sold lol.

I've burned through a couple nomex felt gaskets now on my Vision Classic B, and wouldn't mind a more "robust" option.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Also, I know there's some old threads regarding this, but I didn't want to resurrect some thread from 2011.

Guys on the BGE forum love and swear by the Rutland. It last for a long time. I will be moving to this option when my felt on my XL is fried. The longevity all depends on how well you install it.

Gata, I've seen guys drop the adhesive that comes with the Rutland for the permatex ultra copper...could help longevity, I think:idea:

Not sure about the Vision, but I made a removable gasket for my BGE for high heat cooks.

img5319j.jpg

I've had a high heat BGE gasket for years, not sure how so many folks burn through them so easily. And remember, you only need it on one surface.

Now that's slick!

How does the egg do with no gasket on low and slow cooks? Couldn't imagine it'd seal very well.

The band is adjusted for the gasket, it's about 1/16" thicker than the normal BGE gasket to account for the steel sandwiched in the middle.

I use the gasket when I smoke, low and slow, etc. I remove it for high heat searing steaks and cooking pizza's, the small gap doesn't matter at that point.

I have had a Rutland on my XL BGE for many years without any issues. See @RRP over on the BGE forum and he'll hook you up with a Rutland sized for your kamado, with detailed instruction for installation. It's installed with permatex ultra copper on the bottom only.

I too have installed the Rutland gasket with the Permatex ultra copper adhesive and it has lasted several years.

This seems to be the best option available, so I recommend it.

I have had a Rutland on my XL BGE for many years without any issues. See @RRP over on the BGE forum and he'll hook you up with a Rutland sized for your kamado, with detailed instruction for installation. It's installed with permatex ultra copper on the bottom only.

I too have installed the Rutland gasket with the Permatex ultra copper adhesive and it has lasted several years.

This seems to be the best option available, so I recommend it.

Seems like this is an easy DIY that's giving some great results, thank you guys for your input. Off to go find the mythical RRP...

Too many folks get all whipped up, about having a fantastic gasket in their cooker In most cases, it's not even needed. BGE gasket on the base lip, bare on the top...been rocking that for years. Just because the gasket starts looking hashed, doesn't mean it's not doing it's job. Ceramic cookers are so efficient, a small leak is not gonna make or break you. You can see my blackened gasket in the pic below, still works like a charm.

29709031621_c7e74fc941_b.jpg

Back