Contest Announcment 2012 Winter Burnoff, Des Plaines, IL - Feb 12, 2012

I see the competition was officially announced today. Here is the link to their website. I see sausage is a category as well which is something I have never tried to work with. I'm guessing it is not a traditional competition is it?

http://www.kresmokers.com/index.html

It is not a "qualifying event" if that is what you mean by traditional. Looks like a one day "tune up" comp...very common in the off season! We have a few up here as well! :p They can be a lot of fun...no pressure...just hang out, bs, and cook some meat for braggin' rights...:becky:

I see the competition was officially announced today. Here is the link to their website. I see sausage is a category as well which is something I have never tried to work with. I'm guessing it is not a traditional competition is it?

http://www.kresmokers.com/index.html

It is not a "qualifying event" if that is what you mean by traditional. Looks like a one day "tune up" comp...very common in the off season! We have a few up here as well! :p They can be a lot of fun...no pressure...just hang out, bs, and cook some meat for braggin' rights...:becky:

That's right, just a one day event... Last time I went out to visit it was -15*

judging by the Chicago winter so far ..you may be cooking in shorts by Feb :p

I'm interested in this contest as it is local. It would be my a new experience for me.

I'm curious as to what works with respect to the sausage and loin entries. Are sausages homemade? Are they hot links or something else? Do judges expect the loin entries to be prepared with a BBQ rub and sauced with something you would expect on ribs or chicken? Or do fruity glazes work here? I'm assuming no stuffing.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Kwas,

This contest is a great time. It's done as a fun event to raise money for the organizers charity.

Garnish is KCBS rules, and generally, what goes for a KCBS comp goes here.

That said, neither sausage or pork tenderloin are normal KCBS entries, and when they are, it's up to the organizer to say what is and isn't allowed. In this case, sausage can be almost anything. Homemade, italian, a fattie, I've seen Scotch eggs done also. Chicken and ribs, best to stay mainline KCBS style. Tenderloin? We've done ok with mildly fruity sauces, but YMMV

Come on out, it's a lot of fun, and for a good cause!

This is a nice little contest that I've both judged and cooked at. I'm stubborn and won't do garnish in the winter, especially since I don't have a trailer. So, as long as this remains a garnish optional contest I probably won't cook it.

I think Dann's advice is spot on. We turned in pork with a traditional bbq rub and sauce and did well.

I'm being tempted even further.

So I take it fillings are ok for the loin and sausage categories?

Does anybody have a copy of the rules (even last year's) that they can post?

If it stays this warm I just may show up. :twisted:

It looks like I am going to have to wait until next year for this event. My wife nixed the idea of having our first child during the week and going to a contest that weekend. She used words like "idiot" and "insane". Oh well, hope everyone has a great time and Mother Nature cooperates!

Back