The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   In need of new pulled pork recipe (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160742)

Pig Nutz 05-12-2013 04:50 PM

In need of new pulled pork recipe

I need some help here, been scouring this site and the Internet for years trying to come up with a great, can't miss everyday type pulled pork rub/ recipe. You know one of those recipes that has stood the test of time and is just plain good.

I'm just a backyard guy cooking for my family and have what I consider great recipes for ribs, chicken and brisket and even a real good pulled pork recipe but not THE recipe I'm looking for. I like spicy and not much of a fan of sugar although my current favorite does have some sugar I don't want the end result to be in any way sweet.

I bought a butt today and plan on cooking it in a couple days on the UDS at 275-300 till tender. Can anyone end my years of pulled pork frustration and show me the path to pulled pork nirvana?

landarc 05-12-2013 04:54 PM

Have you ever had a pulled pork somewhere that knocked you off your feet? From a specific region? It is a hard question to answer.

My go to for commercial rubs is Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy layered with The Rub Company Santa Maria style rub.

Bludawg 05-12-2013 06:14 PM

PITMASTER "T" BUTT GLITTER SPRINKLE

8 tsp paprika
3 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery seed
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp mustard powder

I apply a light coat of Slap yo Momma then hit it with the BGS It will make your Lips smack ya Gums so hard you'll knock your Eye teethe out:-D

4uweque 05-12-2013 06:28 PM

Inject it with Chris Lilly's injection recipe and rub it with whatever rub you like. Best butts ever.

Pig Nutz 05-12-2013 06:48 PM

I like to make up my own rubs when possible. Its enjoyable for me and what i want is pork that is great on its own as a sandwich and not sweet. I've made all kinds of sauces and slaws and enjoy them all depending on my mood. There is one commercial product that is on the order of what I'm looking for and I hope I don't get in advertiser trouble by mentioning it on here but maybe it would help give an idea of what I'm looking for. I've never bought this seasoning but have eaten it several times at my brothers. I can't buy it locally and prefer to make my own from grocery store ingredients. So what I'm looking for I guess is something similiar to Custom Culinary Pork BBQ Spice. It's kind of like zinged up Lawrys salt. I could try to duplicate it as a start and Do know how to get close, just don't have the time right now for this particular butt. It's 800mg sodium per teaspoon and the ingredients are in order. Salt, dextrose, MSG,paprika, hydrolized corn soy protein,mustard, onion, garlic, spices and smoke seasoning. Again I don't need this recipe its just an idea of what I'm looking for.

Pig Nutz 05-12-2013 06:57 PM

Sorry I missed the last couple responses. Started typing my post above this and had to go cook some steaks before I got done.

Mark Warren 05-12-2013 08:26 PM

Mark’s Butt Rub
1 Cup Brown Sugar
¼ Cup Kosher Salt
1 TBsp AllSpice
1 TBsp Paprika
1 TBsp Granulated Garlic
1 TBsp Granulated Onion
1 TBsp Ground White Pepper

twofishy4u 05-12-2013 08:54 PM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

just did for mother's day and was great!!!

Vision 05-12-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2478659)
Have you ever had a pulled pork somewhere that knocked you off your feet?

Yes. Try a little msg in the injection.

El Ropo 05-12-2013 09:37 PM

Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt applied right before tossing on the cooker. If you want to get super fancy, add a bit of granulated garlic and granulated onion, maybe a touch of paprika.

For me, less is more.

Bluehawg 05-12-2013 10:54 PM

slobber that sucker with A1 Sauce and then LIBERALLY apply Tony Cacheres to it heavily. Put on smoker and forget it till its done. Bark will be just fine and when you pull it and that bark gets mixed in with the innard meat, Angels in Heaven will smile.

marubozo 05-12-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Ropo (Post 2478944)
Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt applied right before tossing on the cooker. If you want to get super fancy, add a bit of granulated garlic and granulated onion, maybe a touch of paprika.

For me, less is more.

I'm with El Ropo. For a butt especially, 90% of the meat is never even touched or affected by the rub, so trying to find a holy grail rub that is going to make a butt awesome is a fool's errand. You certainly want a good bark, but it doesn't take anything special to achieve that. Of course, if you start talking injections, then you may have something that can impart flavor on the rest of the meat.

But IMO, when it comes to pulled pork, it's all about tenderness, moisture, and then getting a good mix of bark and internal meat when serving. Then a kiss of sauce to finish it off. The best rub in the world isn't going to make the inside of a butt taste better, so if you aren't injecting, it's more about cooking it properly and having just a decent rub to bring out some flavor and take on some smoke to add the flavor to the rest of the meat when it's served.

mn_big_dog 05-12-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4uweque (Post 2478743)
Inject it with Chris Lilly's injection recipe and rub it with whatever rub you like. Best butts ever.

Just did 20+ lbs yesterday with Chris Lilly's rub/injection/mop....and it was amazing.

RUB:
1/2 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
2 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 Tablespoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

INJECTION:
3/4 Cup Apple Juice
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Salt

Mop: (Apply every hour for the last few hours of the cook)
3 Cups Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Cayenne Powder
1 Tablespoon Salt
2 Slices of Lemon

After the meat was done and pulled, I sprinkled some of the rub and squirted some of the mop on top of the meat and mixed it in.

flyingbassman5 05-12-2013 11:16 PM

Best butt recipe ever??

Get a 8-10lb butt from Sam's or Costco.

Pick your favorite rub and apply liberally.

Then smoke over apple and cherry at 225 for 12-15 hours. No basting, no saucing, and no looking until that 11-12 hour mark. Even at that point keep your peaks short and limited to once every 45 minutes.

After its pulled, finish sauce it with Blue Hog Tennessee Red to give you that peppery tangy flavor you seek.

Requires a lot of attention dedicated to the cooker but its the best damn butt you will ever have.

Kloogee 05-12-2013 11:22 PM

J

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Ropo (Post 2478944)

For me, less is more.

This is how I do it too. I do approximately equal parts pepper and kosher salt and the a touch of garlic and onion (but not the paprika). I generously apply while my cooker is getting up to temp.