The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Injection Question - Moved From Competition (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13711)

Solidkick 09-29-2005 06:11 PM

Injection Question

Everyone remember the BBQ competition show that Dr. BBQ was on, hosted by Chris Lilly? (sorry guys, I can't remember the show's name)
Anyway, on the last evening of the show, Chris Lilly's injection recipe was posted on the show. Did anyone write it down, or do you have it? I'd like to try it in the off season. I appreciate the help.
Thanks!

rbsnwngs 09-29-2005 06:21 PM

11/2 pt juice (apple or pineapple)
1 pt water
1 pt suger (brown or white)
1/2 pt salt
worcestershire to taste

this was a pork injection

dxesmkr 09-29-2005 07:36 PM

This is the recipe I have from two different places.I don't remember on the show the exact amounts they used.
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 Tablespoons worcestershire

Willy T.

BrooklynQ 09-29-2005 07:42 PM

From my blog....
"Pulled Pork

Today, I'm cooking for tomorrow. We're celebrating my daughter's 12th birthday a few days late. Right now, as I type, there is 15lbs of Pork Butt cooking on my Weber Smokey Mountain. I used a modified Minion Method for the fire and the meat should be ready around midnight tonight.

Last night my daughter and I rubbed and injected the butts using Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's fame "Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder" recipe as published in Peace, Love and Barbecue, by Mike Mills. We let the butts sit in the refrigerator over night and got them on the fire at about noon today.

Big Bob Gibson's Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder.

1 Pork Butt or Shoulder (18 to 20 lbs) Mine is 15lbs because it is boneless.

Dry Rub
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt (I used garlic powder)
1/3 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder (I used ancho chili powder)
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Injection Baste
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. (I use Lea & Perrins)

Make the dry rub. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a shaker. Store leftover rub in an air tight container. To better mix the rub ingredients, I mixed it in a covered container and shook the rub well. Then I ran the rub through a screen mesh which worked out all the lumps and blended the rub further.

Make the baste. Whisk together the apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Keep mixing until all dry ingredients are dissolved. Fill a basting syringe and begin injecting the meat. You'll want to use about 1/2 oz per pound of shoulder. Coat the butt well with the dry rub and refrigerate overnight.

Cook on a pit or smoker for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour per pound or to an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Pull or chop the meat. Pole the meat onto buns for sandwiches. Leftovers can be frozen for up to one month.

Well, that's the recipe. But I know there are major differences between that method of cooking and how you do butt for competition. I'll talk about that in a post later this week."

Kevin 09-29-2005 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
From my blog....
"Pulled Pork

Today, I'm cooking for tomorrow. We're celebrating my daughter's 12th birthday a few days late. Right now, as I type, there is 15lbs of Pork Butt cooking on my Weber Smokey Mountain. I used a modified Minion Method for the fire and the meat should be ready around midnight tonight.

Last night my daughter and I rubbed and injected the butts using Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's fame "Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder" recipe as published in Peace, Love and Barbecue, by Mike Mills. We let the butts sit in the refrigerator over night and got them on the fire at about noon today.

Big Bob Gibson's Grand World Championship Pork Shoulder.

1 Pork Butt or Shoulder (18 to 20 lbs) Mine is 15lbs because it is boneless.

Dry Rub
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt (I used garlic powder)
1/3 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder (I used ancho chili powder)
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Injection Baste
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. (I use Lea & Perrins)

Make the dry rub. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a shaker. Store leftover rub in an air tight container. To better mix the rub ingredients, I mixed it in a covered container and shook the rub well. Then I ran the rub through a screen mesh which worked out all the lumps and blended the rub further.

Make the baste. Whisk together the apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Keep mixing until all dry ingredients are dissolved. Fill a basting syringe and begin injecting the meat. You'll want to use about 1/2 oz per pound of shoulder. Coat the butt well with the dry rub and refrigerate overnight.

Cook on a pit or smoker for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour per pound or to an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Pull or chop the meat. Pole the meat onto buns for sandwiches. Leftovers can be frozen for up to one month.

Well, that's the recipe. But I know there are major differences between that method of cooking and how you do butt for competition. I'll talk about that in a post later this week."

Wow,Rob, nice post with all of the links.

Jeff_in_KC 10-04-2005 06:20 PM

Hey Rob... out of curiousity, why would the method in those recipes and methods you posted not be suitable for competition?

Jeff_in_KC 10-05-2005 08:23 AM

BTW Rob... just read your results report on this recipe. I also thought while mixing this rub last night that turbinado sugar would be better... amd the something missing I considered was onion powder. Have you determined what you think is missing from it yet?

May have to fire up a smoker anyway this weekend to try this! It sounds outstanding!

icemn62 10-05-2005 01:55 PM

Kinda on topic, when I inject either Brisket or Butt, I notice that A LOT of it comes out as I remove the needle. Am I doing something wrong, or is the $0.94 syringe I got from wally world just a bad product?. The meats that I have injected came out fantastic to me, and the family did not complain. If I am farking it up, then it must be outta this world if you do it right.

chad 10-05-2005 01:59 PM

Even the cheapest injectors will get the job done - a lot has to do with technique (what in life doesn't?).

When you inject don't try to push all the fluid into one spot (now that sounds downright rude!) - inject some, pull back a bit and angle the needle to a new spot, inject some more and repeat until the injector is empty. You actually should think of making an * shaped injection field.

Also, try and inject with the grain of the meat.

Jeff_in_KC 10-05-2005 02:11 PM

Also, leave your meat in the cryovac and inject. It helps to hold it in.

Arlin_MacRae 10-05-2005 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad
Also, try and inject with the grain of the meat.

Dave, I'm curious. Injecting with the grain - does that help form pockets that stay full or...? Interesting...

Arlin

chad 10-05-2005 02:46 PM

Actually, it makes the injection process easier and doesn't open up holes across the grain. Yeah, you can get pockets and that's one reason you need to do the injection early and let the meat rest - the injection will have time to disperse more evenly. No matter what you do there is probably going to be some leakage.

Arlin_MacRae 10-05-2005 04:31 PM

That's my new lesson for the day then. Thanks!

Solidkick 10-05-2005 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
That's my new lesson for the day then. Thanks!

I'm so good at creating useful threads.....I bet this ends up in the roadmap.....:biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC 10-05-2005 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidkick
I'm so good at creating useful threads.....I bet this ends up in the roadmap.....:biggrin:

Without a doubt, Kick! :-D

icemn62 10-06-2005 08:17 AM

Never relly looked while shopping, but are there any differences from one injector to another besides the amount of liquid held inthe barrel?

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 02:02 PM

Not that I've seen myself. But I haven't seen 'em all obviously. I've got a cheap plastic one that actually works better than my expensive stainless steel one.

icemn62 10-06-2005 03:37 PM

Jeff I love that avatar. Daughter used mine and washed it. Somehow the needle got chewed up by the garbage disposal. Another new toy I get to buy :biggrin:

chad 10-06-2005 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the one I currently use.

brdbbq 10-06-2005 04:05 PM

Holy Chit Chad you give enema's on the side ?

qman 10-06-2005 04:13 PM

Dem are nice, Chad, but I decided that it would be overkill for a backyard guy like me.

Had not thought about the enema thing--Maybe a side business?:eek:

chad 10-06-2005 06:17 PM

I've used a lot of the throw away injectors, cheapies from Walmart, and the Cabela's ones and I actually prefer the throw aways. I like the quality of the Cabela models but they are harder to use (I have a bit of carpel-tunnel in the right hand) than the plastic.

I love my brine pump - though it really would be overkill for the backyard cook.

thillin 10-06-2005 07:43 PM

Anyone else notice that the Injection recipe intructions for making it has 1 ingredient not listed under ingredients?

SUGAR

Was it left out? I was going to try it tonight.

Ty

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad
I've used a lot of the throw away injectors, cheapies from Walmart, and the Cabela's ones and I actually prefer the throw aways. I like the quality of the Cabela models but they are harder to use (I have a bit of carpel-tunnel in the right hand) than the plastic.

That's exactly what I was talking about... the stainless Cabela's injectors! The cheap plastic one I bought works a heck of a lot easier!

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thillin
Anyone else notice that the Injection recipe intructions for making it has 1 ingredient not listed under ingredients?

SUGAR

Was it left out? I was going to try it tonight.

Ty

Ty, I noticed that also. I've always heard that salt and sugar should be pretty much equal in injections and brines but can you count the apple juice as "sugar"?

qman 10-06-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemn62
Jeff I love that avatar.:biggrin:

Did any one else notice that Jeff's new avatar lends a whole new meaning to "Pleasant Hills":grin:

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qman
Did any one else notice that Jeff's new avatar lends a whole new meaning to "Pleasant Hills":grin:

It fits with the rest... Boobs, Beer and BBQ - the Three B's of Life.

Anyway, to remain on topic, does anyone have any idea why that Big Bob Gibson recipe and method wouldn't work at a competition? I haven't seen Rob around in a couple of days to answer that. I personally don't see a problem with it.

qman 10-06-2005 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
It fits with the rest... Boobs, Beer and BBQ - the Three B's of Life.

Anyway, to remain on topic, does anyone have any idea why that Big Bob Gibson recipe and method wouldn't work at a competition? I haven't seen Rob around in a couple of days to answer that. I personally don't see a problem with it.

Jeff, according to Mike Mills in "Peace, Love, and Barbecue", that IS Big Bob Gibson's competition method. He says it is a "Grand World Championship" recipe.

Sooo-I think it would work---well.

Peace, Love, and Barbecue page 77 and 78

Dr. Ray has a similar (sic) version of a "competition" injection mix on page 40 of Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Thanks Dr.BBQ

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 10:21 PM

qman, I only ask because Rob indicates there are differences in this and how a butt would be done at comp and didn't explain why. I kinda thought the same thing you did... I just thought maybe I was missing something.

thillin 10-06-2005 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qman
Jeff, according to Mike Mills in "Peace, Love, and Barbecue", that IS Big Bob Gibson's competition method. He says it is a "Grand World Championship" recipe.

Sooo-I think it would work---well.

Peace, Love, and Barbecue page 77 and 78

Dr. Ray has a similar (sic) version of a "competition" injection mix on page 40 of Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Thanks Dr.BBQ

How much sugar is in the injection?

qman 10-07-2005 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thillin
How much sugar is in the injection?

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely gound
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

Recipe says you should use abut 1/2 ounce of this per pound.

Happy squirting:cool:

BTW, this is the Big Bob Gibson recipe from Mike Mills' book.

qman 10-07-2005 05:31 AM

DrBBQ's "Big Pig Pork Injection" calls for pineapple juice an apple juice in equal portions, brown sugar, salt, Worcestershire, soy, hot sauce and dry mustard.

If ya'll ain't run ot and grabbed up a copy of Big Time BBQ, you should. Good book,lots of good stuff.

Jeff_in_KC 10-07-2005 08:38 AM

Didn't I see Ray post he was gonna send all of us an autographed copy for Christmas? :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

The_Kapn 10-10-2005 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC

Not really.

Try PitBitchin' for him--that might work--or maybe not.
Never can tell :grin:

TIM

Ron_L 10-15-2005 01:53 PM

I have a butt that has been "enhanced" with a 12% salt solution. If I am going to use the Big Bob Gibson injection, should I leave out the salt since the butt already has a brine in it?