The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Injection Question - Moved From Competition (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13711)

icemn62 10-06-2005 08:17 AM

Never relly looked while shopping, but are there any differences from one injector to another besides the amount of liquid held inthe barrel?

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 02:02 PM

Not that I've seen myself. But I haven't seen 'em all obviously. I've got a cheap plastic one that actually works better than my expensive stainless steel one.

icemn62 10-06-2005 03:37 PM

Jeff I love that avatar. Daughter used mine and washed it. Somehow the needle got chewed up by the garbage disposal. Another new toy I get to buy :biggrin:

chad 10-06-2005 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the one I currently use.

brdbbq 10-06-2005 04:05 PM

Holy Chit Chad you give enema's on the side ?

qman 10-06-2005 04:13 PM

Dem are nice, Chad, but I decided that it would be overkill for a backyard guy like me.

Had not thought about the enema thing--Maybe a side business?:eek:

chad 10-06-2005 06:17 PM

I've used a lot of the throw away injectors, cheapies from Walmart, and the Cabela's ones and I actually prefer the throw aways. I like the quality of the Cabela models but they are harder to use (I have a bit of carpel-tunnel in the right hand) than the plastic.

I love my brine pump - though it really would be overkill for the backyard cook.

thillin 10-06-2005 07:43 PM

Anyone else notice that the Injection recipe intructions for making it has 1 ingredient not listed under ingredients?

SUGAR

Was it left out? I was going to try it tonight.

Ty

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad
I've used a lot of the throw away injectors, cheapies from Walmart, and the Cabela's ones and I actually prefer the throw aways. I like the quality of the Cabela models but they are harder to use (I have a bit of carpel-tunnel in the right hand) than the plastic.

That's exactly what I was talking about... the stainless Cabela's injectors! The cheap plastic one I bought works a heck of a lot easier!

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thillin
Anyone else notice that the Injection recipe intructions for making it has 1 ingredient not listed under ingredients?

SUGAR

Was it left out? I was going to try it tonight.

Ty

Ty, I noticed that also. I've always heard that salt and sugar should be pretty much equal in injections and brines but can you count the apple juice as "sugar"?

qman 10-06-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemn62
Jeff I love that avatar.:biggrin:

Did any one else notice that Jeff's new avatar lends a whole new meaning to "Pleasant Hills":grin:

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qman
Did any one else notice that Jeff's new avatar lends a whole new meaning to "Pleasant Hills":grin:

It fits with the rest... Boobs, Beer and BBQ - the Three B's of Life.

Anyway, to remain on topic, does anyone have any idea why that Big Bob Gibson recipe and method wouldn't work at a competition? I haven't seen Rob around in a couple of days to answer that. I personally don't see a problem with it.

qman 10-06-2005 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
It fits with the rest... Boobs, Beer and BBQ - the Three B's of Life.

Anyway, to remain on topic, does anyone have any idea why that Big Bob Gibson recipe and method wouldn't work at a competition? I haven't seen Rob around in a couple of days to answer that. I personally don't see a problem with it.

Jeff, according to Mike Mills in "Peace, Love, and Barbecue", that IS Big Bob Gibson's competition method. He says it is a "Grand World Championship" recipe.

Sooo-I think it would work---well.

Peace, Love, and Barbecue page 77 and 78

Dr. Ray has a similar (sic) version of a "competition" injection mix on page 40 of Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Thanks Dr.BBQ

Jeff_in_KC 10-06-2005 10:21 PM

qman, I only ask because Rob indicates there are differences in this and how a butt would be done at comp and didn't explain why. I kinda thought the same thing you did... I just thought maybe I was missing something.

thillin 10-06-2005 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qman
Jeff, according to Mike Mills in "Peace, Love, and Barbecue", that IS Big Bob Gibson's competition method. He says it is a "Grand World Championship" recipe.

Sooo-I think it would work---well.

Peace, Love, and Barbecue page 77 and 78

Dr. Ray has a similar (sic) version of a "competition" injection mix on page 40 of Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Thanks Dr.BBQ

How much sugar is in the injection?