Downgrading to 18.5 WSM

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need some advice here. I own a 22.5" WSM but I want to get rid of it and downgrade to an 18.5". My reason being I would like to try my hand in the spring at some bbq competitions. Since I'm still new to the bbq game I figure I could easily transport those in a mid size car, without any extra trailers, overhead storage bins, ect. Money and space wise it make since to me, or maybe I am just another Harry Soo wannabe. At any rate I was considering 1 of 2 options.

1. Sell the WSM 22.5" outright, and buy 2 new 18.5" s Its in fair condition, 6 months old with minor scratches and dings. Heat shield is pretty bent up but works great. Its not an air tight unit but it holds temp great. It has been modded with nomex on the lid and fire door. I was thinking about asking $350 pn local CL and settling for $275.

2. I thought about posting on CL for a trade because I would like a used WSM 18.5. I was thinking if a person trade me thejr WSM 18.5 plus a $100 upgrade fee, maybe that would work. There are few and far between used WSMs in my area, and I rather buy used. I figure if its pre seasoned and in good condition why not.

Any advice would be helpful, trying to decide on this within the next month or so.

I don't have a WSM, but I think you'll regret downsizing. The racks for my UDS are nearly the perfect size for brisket or anything else I want to cook. I would imagine that space will be pretty tight on a 18.5.

I bought a used 18.5" WSM and love it. I can fit it in my trunk, for easy transport to events for cooking fatties, ABTs, MOINKS, chicken, etc, and I use it for pork at competitions. Mine was $200 and came with a Guru Digi Q... it was a steal.

My only word of caution is about the seasoning. It is impossible to control what the previous owner cooked in it. If they smoked fish in it, or something that might impart an "off flavor" to subsequently smoked meats, you may not get the flavor profile you are shooting for. At least that is what Harry Soo says.

The wsm 22.5 sell for 399.99 dings and scratches will definately affect the price. Personally, on craigslist I would be looking at getting it for 299-315 for a new in box wsm 22.5. A like new one (no box but no scratches or dings) i would pay aroun 250-280. Any damage and bent parts would set the price for me to around 200 (cosmetic + bent parts)- 230 (just cosmetic damage). Then again I only buy craigslist items where I can get at least 25percent off a big ticket item (new) and 33percent off like new items. Any damage is a big deal on craigslist because there are obviously no returns/exchanges so 1/2 off is where id try to get the price. It also depends how rare the wsm is in your area. It may take you longer to sell it but when you do you might get a higher price.

If I were to trade my hypothetical 18 inch for your 22.5 inch (assuming they are the same condition wise) i would look to do a straight trade plus $75max (prob try to haggle to $40). This is based on the fact that you put up the trade post and i would have to put in effort to meet, exchange goods, etc.

I would keep the 22.5 and buy 18.5 from craigslist. Does one 22.5 fit in your car? If it does, is it possible to fit a 18.5 (cooking cylinder) inside the 22.5? I wonder if you can stack the lids and grates?

TL DR: IMO it will be difficult to sell for the prices you listed unless there is a ton of demand and scarcity in your city for your item. I would try to find out if you can store an 18 inch inside the 22.5 inch (the grat le holders/water pan may not allow but it is worth a shot to try.

I bought a used 18.5" WSM and love it. I can fit it in my trunk, for easy transport to events for cooking fatties, ABTs, MOINKS, chicken, etc, and I use it for pork at competitions. Mine was $200 and came with a Guru Digi Q... it was a steal.

My only word of caution is about the seasoning. It is impossible to control what the previous owner cooked in it. If they smoked fish in it, or something that might impart an "off flavor" to subsequently smoked meats, you may not get the flavor profile you are shooting for. At least that is what Harry Soo says.
200 with a guru is steal. Idk I will have to smell a used on carefully or clean off and re season. I pretty much take anything Harry says at face value he is the unofficial wsm ambassador. Thanks for the feedback

I don't have a WSM, but I think you'll regret downsizing. The racks for my UDS are nearly the perfect size for brisket or anything else I want to cook. I would imagine that space will be pretty tight on a 18.5.
You might be right thanks for the advice.Ive seen people on the forum foil the handles of the grate and wedge the brisket in. Not sure if that will work for competition quality, ends could get burn and not.in a good way IMO

The wsm 22.5 sell for 399.99 dings and scratches will definately affect the price. Personally, on craigslist I would be looking at getting it for 299-315 for a new in box wsm 22.5. A like new one (no box but no scratches or dings) i would pay aroun 250-280. Any damage and bent parts would set the price for me to around 200 (cosmetic + bent parts)- 230 (just cosmetic damage). Then again I only buy craigslist items where I can get at least 25percent off a big ticket item (new) and 33percent off like new items. Any damage is a big deal on craigslist because there are obviously no returns/exchanges so 1/2 off is where id try to get the price. It also depends how rare the wsm is in your area. It may take you longer to sell it but when you do you might get a higher price.

If I were to trade my hypothetical 18 inch for your 22.5 inch (assuming they are the same condition wise) i would look to do a straight trade plus $75max (prob try to haggle to $40). This is based on the fact that you put up the trade post and i would have to put in effort to meet, exchange goods, etc.

I would keep the 22.5 and buy 18.5 from craigslist. Does one 22.5 fit in your car? If it does, is it possible to fit a 18.5 (cooking cylinder) inside the 22.5? I wonder if you can stack the lids and grates?

TL DR: IMO it will be difficult to sell for the prices you listed unless there is a ton of demand and scarcity in your city for your item. I would try to find out if you can store an 18 inch inside the 22.5 inch (the grat le holders/water pan may not allow but it is worth a shot to try.
Thanks for the appraisal. I feel like one of those guys on pawn stars who thinks they have an extremely expexpensive item only to find out it is not that rare . Your probably right though. I got brand new for 400 and low 200$ is quite a haircut. Its semi urban where I live so there is not a huge demand. However 22.5 almost never comes up for sale. Basically if you want one the cheapest is like off ebay than 350 + shipping new.

I might take $75 for the trade. I think the math could work out better. Nearest 18.5s used are 2 to 3 hours .l could keep and try to buy 18.5 off ebay seen them in 220 240 range. Got to hope for no damage and I think some might be the slightly older model with no grommetm probe hole but not . Thanks for assessment of tbe situation.

If you are going down to two 18.5 WSMs for competitions you will be limited on space. I have a 22.5 and and 18.5 WSM that I use for comps and I am looking to upgrade to a larger smoker. Pork butt, brisket, 3 or 4 slabs of ribs, and 12 to 18 chicken thighs and you run out of space quickly on just two smokers.

Another issue is space in your car. Once you have two WSMs, couple coolers, totes with other general supplies, tables, etc. will you have enough room to get it all to the comp? My explorer was completely packed front to back and floor to roof.

Not trying to bring you down, but just a few things to consider.

DON'T GIVE UP THE 22.5!!:hand: Or at least not yet. The 18.5 fits inside the 22.5 and you're going to need both or face some real timing challenges. If you're interested in competing without downsizing your gear, shoot a PM to Sharks Guy aka DanD BBQ. He is the competition packing KING. Puts a competitions worth of gear including a 22.5 and an 18.5 WSM into his sub compact car. (I think it was an accord or civic or something). He's been doing really well too. I learned a lot from him on how to maximize available space. Good Luck

As a team that started out running a comp on one 18.5 I will say don't get rid of your 22. We now run 3 18's and a 22. The logistics alone of running all four meats on a single 18 are tough. Not to mention your cooker stays open a ton!

I would also recommend a hitch hauler. I got mine from Amazon for $120 and free shipping from prime. It's 24x60. For a reference, here it is on the back of my Grand Cherokee.

IMG_3904_zps280cca89.jpg

Sorry for the large photo, but I am on my phone and don't know how to resize from here.

I have a 22 a 18 and yes 14, i recomend buying more!!

Back