• points overall

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • place overall

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
How do you set goals for yourself going into a competition?

I know I'm going to have a good time, I know I will do my best, I know I will see my freinds, so the only goal I really have is to make my money back.

Also on that list should have been, satisfied with the turn in product (or something similar), money won, other

Last year in 4 of our 5 comps our chicken scored between 154.2854 and 156.5710 - pretty consistant point wise, but it ranged from 9 points to 21 points behind the winner.

I've set the chicken goal as 163.9998. That's 43 app points, 40 taste and 42 tenderness from the 5 of the 6 judges going into our first comp of the season this year.

I'm also the head cook for pork, where I set up a goal of 162.2856 (42/40/41)

Is this a bad way to set up a goal? I'm I going to be sadly disappointed when the entry hits a rough table of judges?

Being fairly new to the comp scene (3 comps) I am sure my goals will change over time, but for the first comp the goals was to get everything in on time and not get a DAL........the next two it was to improve on the points in each catagory.

I figure if the points are up in each catagory the rest will take care of itself.

I just want to be consistant in something.

Exactly, I would like to see some consistency in all four categories, something I have never achieved, except for consistently bad.

We are new this year to comps with only one down and three more planned. Our goal for the year is to simply do better than we did the last time. If we had to narrow it down i would say more points per entry than the last contest.

Our goal is to not come in D.A.L. And have a good time.

This last weekend while not D.A.L. we could see it from where we were, but thought it was a good showing as we were on a new cooker, the field was challanging, and the judges were only about 50% CBJ. We also had a great time! So our goals were met.

I base my goals on the place we finish. For this year our goal is to finish in the top half of the field.

I also keep track of our scores and compare them to each other so while I do not base my goals on the exact score and do not have a goal of what score I want to average for each entry I have a secondary goal of seeing improvement in the scores.

Last weekend I think we met our goals 42 teams 17th overall and every entry was around mid pack or above. I think that was pretty good since I forgot foil so I had to improvise on all of my timing and methods that I had just started to get consistant at.

This is the year that Smokin' Blues starts competing with Kettering the 1st.....I hope. My goal is to hopefully have everything I need when I get there, That my crew has a good time, and that all equipment gets there and home safely. Other than that I hope to have a good time.

I would say your goals certainly change over time. Right now I would say out goals are to turn in four quality boxes and be top ten in all four.

Unless it is a 180, I don't care about points. They are all relative to the contest and judges. I want a single call. Anything else is a bonus.

Our goal this year is to win a Grand Championship. A few calls here and there wouldn't hurt either.

My goal for this year is to get all of my entries in the top half of the field. and too really improve my brisket score. I still don't cook a very good brisket. It always seems to dry out fast after slicing.

Unless it is a 180, I don't care about points. They are all relative to the contest and judges. I want a single call. Anything else is a bonus.

very good point. points are all relative to who you beat and who beats you. this year already, I won a G.C. with a 635, and a 19th place overall with a 648.

To take the GC would be the primary goal. Your probably gonna get some walks if that happens. Cooking consistantly is a desired goal, with the subjective nature of our hobby it is difficult to alwasy assess this goal. To look at the results from Stagecoach 2 weekends ago and then the Modesto contest last weekend, you look at the experienced teams and where they finished in one and then the next week and kind of scratch your head. You just try and serve a consistant product!

I always telll my partner I want to hear our name at the contest, just to let people know we were there.

I always telll my partner I want to hear our name at the contest, just to let people know we were there.

So when was your last contest?:twisted:

Actually, my team mates and I always say that "Any day you walk is a good day". So that is our goal as well.

BTW, Bill congrats on getting first in chicken last week!:biggrin:

I would say your goals certainly change over time. Right now I would say out goals are to turn in four quality boxes and be top ten in all four.

Since Brent and I cook together--I gotta say "DITTO" :lol:

Basically, last year was the first year that we turned in 4 entries that we were consistently happy with across the board.

Another goal is to stop the "stupid little mistakes" that cost us points here and there. Darn close to that goal.
Will be competing a lot more this fall, so that will really help the quality.

Just gotta have fun and live to do it again!

TIM

Back