Rate my Brisket Box

Add lettuce base to your box to raise the presentation, trim your briskie to fit the box. Remember to trim so the brisket is round on the ends, and add 2 more slices, and make sure there are 8 burnt ends.

I rate 7.

It does look crowded. Can't really see the burnt ends. Need to show them off a bit more. For me solid 7 maybe 8.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you all for the critiques... and I assume the burnt ends always tend to go in the back of the box, right? I'll try another one in a week or three and we'll see how that one is!

Id go 7 or 8 too.

not to hijack but we have 2 comments about parsley or greens needing work?

Would sloppy parsley affect your score? Sure hope not.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I hope the mods punish that thead hijacker :becky:

I do think judges will mark you based on the overall impressions they have of the box. They might not specifically mark down for the garnish, but if it conveys an overall impression of a sloppy box, expect to get dinged for it.

(I have also gotten 2 comment cards saying my meat was too cold, and KCBS says you aren't supposed to judge on that...so I certainly wouldn't rely on the expectation that all six judges will know and strictly follow the rules.)

I would give it a 7 or 8. A little more uniformity with each slice would help. If you're going to put burnt ends in the box be sure to have enough for all the judges. Personally I like to see an equal number of slices & burnt ends my self. And, yes, whether the box has any greens or not should not effect the judges appearance score. No one has mentioned the "smoke ring" yet. That shouldn't be considered in the appearance score either. Cheers!!!

6, maybe a 7 in person. The front slice is so ragged on the left side I can't get away from it. The point chunks in the back look just tossed in. The saucing is uneven and there are bits and flecks of matter on the slicers (or my monitor is really dirty). Meat is sunk down into the garnish, almost hidden.

Non factors for me but,,,,,

The greens - judges don't like to see stems and there are quite a few visible in the box. Unenlightened judges will ding you for that.

The smoke ring. It's so large that the meat almost looks cured.

I'm not a judge, so I won't throw out a number. What I would do is get that black booger off that first slice. Only 5 burnt ends, you need to have at least 1 per judge, or by my rule at least one extra. So the last judge still has a choice.

Would sloppy parsley affect your score? Sure hope not.

It would be nice to see all the CBJ's, table captains and master judges chime in on this.

We all know the answer, tho.

More meat, less greens. Too much shine (moist is one thing, but I think its a little over the top with droplets on the meat). Plus all the stuff that Slamdunkpro said.

Yes at best 7 for me, mostly because it looks more like pastrami then BBQ.

So that was going to be my question. We hear over and over not to judge a smoke ring. Well, that one looks 'weird' and I can't help "judging" it because it effects how much I want to sample the brisket.

From here, it looks like those slices are extremely on a bias. The bark looks almost burnt. The front slice is ragged. The left of the slices look mostly complete, the right look mostly trimmed.

I am willing to change my vote in person, but with what I have to work with ... 7

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a judge.

Back