The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   sorry, im ignorant to comps...but (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145870)

HickoryJ 10-12-2012 03:29 PM

sorry, im ignorant to comps...but

is the meat provided? or do u bring your own? i guess im talking kcbs. i took a glance at the rules and seen there is a meat inspector...but that could work for both. once again, sorry im a noob to comps.

hamiltont 10-12-2012 03:31 PM

BYO, and most bring more than needed JIC...

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 10-12-2012 03:35 PM

ALWAYS bring extra. If you don't you will wish you had, at some point.

HickoryJ 10-12-2012 03:35 PM

so the inspector comes around to each site and check the meat? what are they looking for exactly?

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 10-12-2012 03:37 PM

Making sure that you didn't bring anything that has been marinated or had anything done to it that could be considered cheaqting. It is an attempt to help level the playing field.

hamiltont 10-12-2012 03:40 PM

You can prep your meat before arriving by trimming it, scraping the chicken skin, stuff like that. You can't put any seasoning, brine or injection in or on the meat until after it's inspected, basically....

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 10-12-2012 03:47 PM

You can not remove the meat from the original packaging until it has been inspected. No trimming, seasoning, brining, etc.

HickoryJ 10-12-2012 03:48 PM

thats what i thought. im gonna try to get in some comps next yr. but to be honest...i dont have much experience with chicken or ribs. those 2 categories ill be weak in for sure. it is pork, brisket, ribs and chicken right?

speers90 10-12-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkeyz BBQ (Post 2241837)
You can not remove the meat from the original packaging until it has been inspected. No trimming, seasoning, brining, etc.

In KCBS contests you can trim the meat before inspection.

The_Kapn 10-12-2012 03:52 PM

I highly suggest that you hook up with a team and wash dishes, help out, etc before you spend your money competing "cold turkey" :grin:

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum for folks looking to mentor with a team.
Here is a link to it:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Good Luck with whatever approach you take.

TIM

HickoryJ 10-12-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Kapn (Post 2241844)
I highly suggest that you hook up with a team and wash dishes, help out, etc before you spend your money competing "cold turkey" :grin:

i want nothing more than that. cant think of anything better!

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 10-12-2012 04:13 PM

If you want to up your game on any meat, this is the right place to learn. I've only been here for a short while but have learned tons. Lots of great people here.

HickoryJ 10-12-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkeyz BBQ (Post 2241866)
If you want to up your game on any meat, this is the right place to learn. I've only been here for a short while but have learned tons. Lots of great people here.

i know. people are helpful on here. i try to use the search engine as much as possible cause i know getting asked the same questions over and over is annoying. lots of good info getting spread on here. competition is definitely something i need help with. i know it will be humbling lol

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 10-12-2012 05:35 PM

Good Luck! I wish you the best.

Rookie'48 10-12-2012 05:47 PM

In KCBS comps the original packaging is not required. The meat may be removed from the package and trimmed as long as it's not brined, seasoned, rubbed, marinated, etc. Basically you cannot add any type of flavoring agent prior to inspection.