Comp Trailer help

tboneld

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking at upgrading to a comp trailer. I was thinking about buying a used Enclosed (Cargo) trailer 7x14ish. I'd like to be able to permanently mount my Stumps 223 on it.

I know that people mount their FE's in the trailer, but I've also seen people (like Parrothead) have an open porch. Can you do that on a built trailer, or do you need to order a custom trailer?

Do you think it is okay to run a Stumps in an enclosed trailer, if it is vented well? I don't plan to sleep in it, just make a kitchen. That seems easier than to make a porch. I could put it at the back of the trailer, leave the gates open, put a hood in, and drop a canvas wall to keep the smoke out of the cabin, and to keep the AC in.

Thoughts? If anyone has any pictures, I'd love to see them.

Boy, I'd be worried about asphyxiation with a cooker inside a trailer - too much risk of waking up dead! A safer and more common approach is to get a utility with a rear ramp and let it down on jack stands. Then you roll the cooker(s) out on the supported door like a deck. Some folks also hang a curtain or clear vinyl slats to keep the weather out of the trailer somewhat.

Shoot, I typed up a nice detailed response last night and lost my connection.

Bottom line was, I would not do it. I've witnessed 2 near trailer fires from smokers mounted inside that had grease fires. Couple that with wood floors, hot coal, charcoal dust and ash, grease and smoke, and you've got the potential for at the least a big mess, at the most (worst) a trailer fire. Just MO, anyway. A porch is the way to go.

First, you may be able to modify an existing enclosed trailer to have a porch, but I would be concerned about strength once you are done. Several cargo trailer manufacturers offer a porch as an option. If you want to go that way I would order one built that way.

Second, I have seen guys cooking inside of their trailer, but like the guys above, I would be concerned about the risks. One local team has two backwoods smokers inside the trailer and they use a fan to pull the smoke out of the roof vent. They haven't had any problems. I have also seen guys who have use stove pipe to run the smoke out the top of the trailer. This seems like a better alternative to ne but there could still be a problem in case of a fire.

I've been using the ramp as a platform with jack stands for my FEC and then setting up my prep table inside the trailer. That works out very well. here's a picture from our first comp using the trailer. I've re-arranged things a bit, but not much.

IMG_4568.jpg

I don't have a cargo trailer, but I use a toy hauler to move my Stumps, XL BGE and UDS to the comps. This way, I can still use the Stump's at home.

It then gives me a unit to sleep in, I also can use it for camping and you can write off the interest expense as a second home.

Works for me, but I like to have a Bathroom and bed of my own at the comps. :icon_cool

First, you may be able to modify an existing enclosed trailer to have a porch, but I would be concerned about strength once you are done. Several cargo trailer manufacturers offer a porch as an option. If you want to go that way I would order one built that way.

Second, I have seen guys cooking inside of their trailer, but like the guys above, I would be concerned about the risks. One local team has two backwoods smokers inside the trailer and they use a fan to pull the smoke out of the roof vent. They haven't had any problems. I have also seen guys who have use stove pipe to run the smoke out the top of the trailer. This seems like a better alternative to ne but there could still be a problem in case of a fire.

I've been using the ramp as a platform with jack stands for my FEC and then setting up my prep table inside the trailer. That works out very well. here's a picture from our first comp using the trailer. I've re-arranged things a bit, but not much.

IMG_4568.jpg

THis is a direction I would like to go at some point.

Thanks for the insight. I was trying to figure out how to mount the stumps solid. It doesn't move too easy on the mush wheels.

The plan is to have two smaller trailers, one for sleep, and one for cooking. We will outfit the cooking trailer to be used for catering, with a 3 bay sink etc.

We don't have access to a big truck to pull a monster, so we thought we could pull two smaller units with two SUVs.

The ramp door is a viable option. I'm not sure about the porch, as we were hoping to buy somthing used at a little better price.

Again, thanks for the thoughts.

I'm thinking about a larger rig. Take a look at my picture at left and PM me if you have any interest. Just for reference, with the pit, I've got about $30k invested. No idea what to ask......

Back