The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Baking Red Bricks (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148099)

yelonutz 11-19-2012 08:37 PM

Baking Red Bricks

I am taking a fried turkey to some friends house for Thanksgiving. I am supposed to arrive a few hours before eating. My idea is to wrap some red clay bricks in foil and place them in the gasser at 200 deg for awhile. I will then place them in a SS pan in the Cambro and placing the Turkey (foil wrapped) right above it. There may be moisture in the bricks. How high can I go on temp and how fast? I would like to avoid flying shrapnel and exploding bricks if possible. Any other ideas would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
NUTZ

Roo-B-Q'N 11-20-2012 08:11 AM

I would bring them up slowly. If you have a second shelf I would place them on that while heating up.
Over on a wood fired oven forum I just read that a guy had one of his floor tiles, made of fire brick, explode due to moisture in the tile. He had not used the oven for 3 months or so, but that was enough.
If you have it wrap your pan eniterly in foil, fill it with playground sand, foil that and heat it. Just like a heat sink in a cooker.

Roo-B-Q'N 11-20-2012 08:13 AM

OR heat up several wet towels in your SS Pan in you home oven, and then foil that and put it in the cambro. Heat and moisture.

pat 11-20-2012 10:26 AM

2 good posts from Tom in 2 minutes. What is the world coming to?

landarc 11-20-2012 02:49 PM

I think the trick will be to get the bricks dry before they get really hot. Thus, low and slow is the way. Obviously, taking the chill off the pan and Cambro will help.

ssbbqguy 11-20-2012 04:33 PM

I would use dense firebricks and heat up slowly until ready to use. There are hundreds if not more recipes for red bricks and not knowing enough about the properties of all, I would use something known to be used around food. Steve.

HBMTN 11-22-2012 06:54 PM

I used to use bricks like you are talking about in the bottom of a Chargriller just to help steady the heat. They would run 250 degrees and never had a problem. If you lined a full pan with 200 degree bricks and turkey above that in a Cambro I think that would be just fine.

jestridge 11-30-2012 12:26 PM

Buy a coleman 5 days cooler it keep it hot for hours

jestridge 11-30-2012 12:27 PM

Coleman Extreme cooler

yelonutz 11-30-2012 12:33 PM

Thank you for all your responses and help. I ended up heating a cast iron frying pan in the oven (yeah, that thing the wife uses) wrapping it in an old towel and placing it in the bottom SS pan in the cambro then the turkey went above it. Only problem was I got too anal and wrapped the turkey with foil and that softened up the skin. Oh well, it still tasted great.

NUTZ