Smoker build idea...

Panthers65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Warning, awesome MS Paint skills to follow:

Has anyone ever seen a smoker build with this idea?

Smokeridea.png

Basically just creates a firebox out of the end of the smoker instead of trying to find a sheet of steel to build the firebox out of. Should be easy enough to clean, and price per gallon larger tanks are cheaper than smaller tanks are.

In the first picture, the red line is the cut line. Then that section is rotated 90* around and flipped to form the right angle for the fire box. 2nd picture, yellow line is weld line, firebox door would be on the far right side of the smoker. Couldn't find any pictures of actual smokers build like this.

Hardest part I see is the initial cut, making sure it's straight enough that when flipped around everything lines up good enough to weld. What say the brethren?

Edit: forgot to add, this obviously isn't to dimension. Parts could be increased/decreased in size by moving the initial cut line to the left.

I have never seen any smokers built like that personally, so no real help. The shape of the smoker does look oddly familiar though. :eyebrows:

Also, the googlead at the bottom of the post was unintentionally funny and made me chortle...:laugh:

At least post NSFW in the title with a picture like that :)...honestly though, it may be tough to even out the flow path in the bottom of the cook chamber nearest the fire box

Yea, I knew I was going to catch flack for that, but it was the best way I could draw it.

At least post NSFW in the title with a picture like that :)...honestly though, it may be tough to even out the flow path in the bottom of the cook chamber nearest the fire box

I thought of that, and considered adding a plate basically welded along the bottom half of the yellow weld line in the second picture, making the smoke have to travel up to the top right of the smoker before getting to the food. That is if I don't add a plate inside the smoker to make it reverse-flow.

The hardest part of that would not be cutting straight or even welding. From personal experience making a firebox door that seals with it following the curve of the smoker is the hard part. If you were to make a frame that installs into your opening that you could put a flat door on it would seal much better. Other than that looks feasable and even a little on the easy side comparatively speaking. I made my smoker out of two 55 gal drums and made my doors flat. By doing this my doors seal very well for the firebox and for the smoke chamber. Hope this helps. If you want to see pic of what I am talking about, search double barrel uds in the threads.

Where do you plan on putting the stack?

And where would your opening be into the cook chamber?

I also don't think your cut portion is going to match up to the cook chamber as your drawing shows without some additional fabrication based on the angled cut.

The hardest part of that would not be cutting straight or even welding. From personal experience making a firebox door that seals with it following the curve of the smoker is the hard part. If you were to make a frame that installs into your opening that you could put a flat door on it would seal much better. Other than that looks feasable and even a little on the easy side comparatively speaking. I made my smoker out of two 55 gal drums and made my doors flat. By doing this my doors seal very well for the firebox and for the smoke chamber. Hope this helps. If you want to see pic of what I am talking about, search double barrel uds in the threads.

Thanks, I know sealing the doors is an issue, and there are a couple tricks to get them to seal right. The doors would probably get some bracing on the inside to help them keep their shape, and some nice gaskets around the doors themselves.

Where do you plan on putting the stack?

And where would your opening be into the cook chamber?

I also don't think your cut portion is going to match up to the cook chamber as your drawing shows without some additional fabrication based on the angled cut.

As is, stack would go on the far left. If I made it reverse, stack would go on the far right. Door to the firebox is on the very far right. Think 3D, you can't see the face of the door, but you can see the side of it.

the shell itself would like up, with a 45* cut in a cylinder, and rotated 180*, you would end up with a 90* angle on the smoker. The cut, though, is the hard part. If it's off, it won't line up right when I go to weld. The only thing I've come up with is to clean the tank real well, then draw a grid around the outside of the tank so I can keep the cut straight and identical on both sides.

The more I think about the the flat door, the more i like it, but that's getting into having to find a plate, which is a lot more expensive than just finding the propane tank :tsk:

You can buy a wrap at most welding supply stores that will allow you to draw almost any angle you want. Why couldn't the door be round on the fire box. Put some flat bar around it and some type of sealer on the backside. It's a homemade pit. It doesn't need to be air tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your cut line had been dashes or dots even I would have figured out the design better.
I think it's a good attempt but think the work that would go into making it for the outcome may not be what you want. I also wonder where you would put the exhaust and if it's gonna be a reverse flow.

wouldn't it be easier to just get a second, smaller tank, and weld it to the larger tank?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 91
I like it. I like to build cookers that are different than the norm. It should not be hard to build this one, you just have to figure out all the design features as you go. thats the best part of a custom design.

Back