The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rub Creation Process (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156520)

Pyle's BBQ 03-18-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goyo626 (Post 2413262)
I got to say baking is MUCH easier than this since everything is based on ratios. My brain is in complete awe of those of you who can create great rubs and sauces through sheer experience and know how. RESPECT.

This is not much different. If you analyze the ratios in most rubs you will find the base ingredients are in about the same ratios, it is what else that is added that will make your rub different.

Sugar, salt and pepper are a good place to start.

Pyrotech 03-18-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goyo626 (Post 2413268)
Great advice I will definately take your advice. How should I test ? Tasting the rub directly or cooking some pieces of pork on the stove?

I would cook some pork with it, lots and lots of pork. thin and thick cuts as well, see what works best for you and your family

I spent years and cooked alot of meat while working on my rub. and frends and family got lots of samples of the rub by itself and meat cooked with it.

bigabyte 03-18-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goyo626 (Post 2413268)
Great advice I will definately take your advice. How should I test ? Tasting the rub directly or cooking some pieces of pork on the stove?

Yes.

:laugh:

Seriously though, the most reasonable thing to start with is by tasting it directly until you are happy. Some ingredients are known to fare better than others during cooking. I'll try and get you a link to some of that info that I logged in that department in case it helps. However, if you are only using ingredients that fare well while cooking, then the final flavor might not be the same, but should not be a big shock either and pretty much match about what you were expecting.

In case it helps, here's a rub I developed that I still love today. It was desgined to be balanced all around. No one flavor jumps out. A lot of folks have commented that it makes the food taste better, as opposed to just making it taste like food with a good rub on it (if that makes sense). I'm sure some out there hate it though, and many say they can't find the exact ingredients...which if you use a substitute I have no way to tell you if things will still be properly balanced.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=103989

I'll be back with soem ingredient info...

bigabyte 03-18-2013 10:00 PM

Here's a thread with a bunch of info I gathered on ingredients. It may help get you started. I did these tests over a few years, each actually tested on meat in the cooker.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62646

Like I said, you're targeting the flavor you have in your *mind*, not someone else's recipe. So use the ingredients as a guide, and shoot for a balance that pleases YOU. If you are using ingredients that give a predictable end result when cooked, then you should not have any big surprises and get what you are shooting for. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try something new, however, or completely contrary to what others believe.

Goyo626 03-18-2013 10:05 PM

This is exactly why this forum is awesome. Without it I would probably fail miserably. But with the brethren I have a fighting chance.

@bigabyte Just looked at your link. Wow you even tried peanut butter.

Cloudsmoker 03-18-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ-Jim (Post 2413225)
get a copy of Paul Kirk's book " Championship Barbeque Sauces " it has a ton of info on how to build rubs.

Jim

Can't agree with this more -- great place to start.

Q-Dat 03-19-2013 12:23 AM

Re: Rub Creation Process

I am a firm believer in this formula for constructing your own rub. This is very basic, but it will give you a starting point and then you will be able to figure out which way to go from there.

25% salt
25% sugar
25% mixture of paprika and chili powder
25% traditional flavors such as onion, garlic, and celery

After you try a rub like this you can decide how you want to rearrange the flavor balance to suit your own tastes. Such as making it sweeter, saltier, spicier and so forth.

BigBellyBBQ 03-19-2013 02:21 AM

a rub will go through a chemical change, certain seeds or herbs the tanins will come out and your rub will pick up bitterness. This is where you balance out the sweetness. However if you are inexperienced and trying to learn flavor profiles, follow the advice above and yes paul kirks book really gets into details, find a rub in that book or above ideas and go from there, learn the basics first then start to build BUT understand the why taste will change..start off simple then go!

posey's_pork_pit 03-19-2013 05:21 AM

IMHO, the book The Flavor Bible is a must. As an excerpt from the cover sleeve states; "You'll learn to explore the individual roles played by the four basic tastes - salty, sour, bitter, and sweet - and how to bring them into harmony." It is not a recipe book but it teaches you what flavors go with each other.

Skidder 03-19-2013 05:40 AM

In my opinion do not use store bought spices and herbs. If you've ever been to a place that fresh grinds theres you'll see what I mean. Grocery store stuff is bland in comparison and there is no arguing this point. You'll see a huge flavor difference. I tried my rub using store bought / fresh ground on ribs and gave both out to friends (they didn't know which was which) and six outta six picked the fresh over store bought so right then and there I said I'm never going back.

jonboy 03-19-2013 05:42 AM

Lots of good advice above...:-D
Different paths...
Paul Kirks book is good. You can learn while building rubs.
First, salt and pepper.
Second, add garlic powder.
Third, add onion powder.
Etc.
There are a lot of recipes in it.

You can start with a balanced recipe and tweak.
The butt glitter recipe works well. You might like something a little hotter, you can tweak it. Or something sweeter...tweak it. Like oregano, add some.

Another way is find a rub that you like and try to make something similar.

I started making rubs first. In hindsight i wish that i started with a few commercial rubs first and then had a target in mind. It would have saved me some money. I am still experimenting. Enjoy the ride.:-D
jon

Skidder 03-19-2013 05:46 AM

Page 26 and 27 of Webers Real Grilling book shows all about the different categories of making rubs and about each component.

dwfisk 03-19-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ-Jim (Post 2413225)
get a copy of Paul Kirk's book " Championship Barbeque Sauces " it has a ton of info on how to build rubs.

Jim

^+1, Good reference, but whats wrong with S&P - 50/50, little less salt for pork?

Lake Dogs 03-19-2013 06:29 AM

A little old school, but Paul Kirk's book may help fit the bill.

Hawg Father of Seoul 03-19-2013 06:42 AM

I'll give up a big "secret". If you want to test your rub by quick frying something on the stove. Take a chunk of meat (I like pork loin) take one thin piece and rub it, then fry. Take a chunk and make a little pocket in it. Only put rub inside the pocket on this piece and fry it up.

See how the rub acts in both situations. IMHO the pocket method more closely resembles the way the rub acts on the BBQ.

Second "secret". Do this a little at a time. You will blow out your taste buds and the fifth test on one day will not be close to accurate.