The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New rubs and sauces (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29553)

Young Gun 07-19-2007 03:12 PM

New rubs and sauces

I am working on two new rubs and sauces and will be marketing them soon. I would like to here some input on what all the bbq guru's here would like to see in rubs and sauces that would make them stand out or that would appeal to you. Thanks in advance. I know I will get the best input on the brethern form.

Young Gun

Harbormaster 07-19-2007 03:19 PM

One of the guys here gave me a batch of his "finishing sauce" which was the best damn sauce I ever had. Perfect (for me) balance of tangy (vinegar), sweetness (mollasses and honey), and heat (chipotle). I'm guessing that was his ingredients, but I loved it.

Young Gun 07-19-2007 03:31 PM

Sounds good. I am trying to get that in my sauce also. Not to sweet and not to much heat with some tangyness to it. Thanks for the info.

Young Gun

BBQ Grail 07-19-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Gun (Post 431119)
I would like to here some input on what all the bbq guru's here would like to see in rubs and sauces that would make them stand out or that would appeal to you.

Young Gun

Hmmmmmm....

In my rubs and sauces I'd like to see free testing samples...

Plowboy 07-19-2007 10:43 PM

Earlier this year when I was developing mine, I asked for tasters and sent about thirty 2 oz. samples to Brethren across the country. It was a lot of work to keep things straight, but I got a lot of input.

These guys WON'T hold anything back. Brutally honest... which should be what you want.

Also, when I sent my samples, I asked that they send their feedback to me. I wasn't asking for posts on forums or blog articles. Some did, but I was always clear that I wanted feedback, not pub.

CarbonToe 07-20-2007 04:47 AM

When buying hot sauces I avoid all sauce's with crass name's or label's.

Beertender 07-20-2007 06:39 AM

Plow how did that come out. With so many people from different areas and different taste I figure that would be tough. Kind of like asking online which region has the best Q. Thats why I like this forum and forgive me, a few other BBQ forums. But I like to get recipes and ideas from all over the US and Canada and other. From what I've read here and on others.... times and temps are similar but taste are all over the board. I guess just make what tastes good to you and hope everyone else agrees ? Not trying to hijack the thread Young Gun but may help you a little in the long run also.

Young Gun 07-20-2007 06:50 AM

Thanks Guys,
I am still waiting on my first test batch. It should be here any day. This is still in the very early stage. You guys are right about different areas liking different flavors. As soon as I can get some this going I will try to get some samples out for some feedback.

Young Gun

Beertender 07-20-2007 07:24 AM

Young Gun I just noticed you're probably not even 15 mins from me. I'm right at I 10 and John Ralston. Right by Budweiser.

Porky 07-20-2007 08:03 AM

Young Gun- I would love to be one of the taste testers for your rub/sauce. Please keep me posted.

Plowboy 07-20-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beertender (Post 431399)
Plow how did that come out. With so many people from different areas and different taste I figure that would be tough. Kind of like asking online which region has the best Q. Thats why I like this forum and forgive me, a few other BBQ forums. But I like to get recipes and ideas from all over the US and Canada and other. From what I've read here and on others.... times and temps are similar but taste are all over the board. I guess just make what tastes good to you and hope everyone else agrees ? Not trying to hijack the thread Young Gun but may help you a little in the long run also.

My experience is that sauces vary more by region that rubs do, with some small exceptions maybe. Sauces vary much, much more, IMHO.

kickassbbq 07-20-2007 09:52 AM

My suggestion is that you make your rubs and sauces to YOUR satisfaction!!!
It will be impossible to make them to satisfy everyone else. No matter how they come out, some will love them and some will not like them at all.
It is a subjective deal, just like BBQ.
If you like them, they will probably sell.
Smoke On!!!!!

itschris 07-20-2007 09:52 AM

I like stuff that has a good bacon flavor to it. I haven't seen a a lot of rubs or sauces that go in that direction.

ZBQ 07-20-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassbbq (Post 431488)
My suggestion is that you make your rubs and sauces to YOUR satisfaction!!!
It will be impossible to make them to satisfy everyone else. No matter how they come out, some will love them and some will not like them at all.
It is a subjective deal, just like BBQ.
If you like them, they will probably sell.
Smoke On!!!!!

Good advice to keep in mind!!:-D

That being said, if you need testers, count me in!!:-D

midnight 07-21-2007 12:16 AM

I have alot of people that ask me if I make a salt free rub. I also get alot of people asking if there is any msg in my rubs (no there isn't). You might already have your recipes for your rubs, but those are the two comments I get the most.