trim at home re-comp question

jketron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
when you trim a brisket at home, what are you storing that big piece of meat in? I have 2 gallon bags...not going to fit, Id wrap it in cling wrap but then it leaks (not marinade but the regular juices). I'm trimming, not seasoning or injecting...just trimming

I trim the sides down to fit in the box, and then it get vaccum sealed in the food saver, so you can make the bags as long as you need.

^^^^ what Timmy Mac said.

For me, trimming brisket is the easiest of the meat to prepare for comps. If time is too short, I do it on site.

Chicken takes a bunch of time, for me anyways.......

wallace

The 2.5 gallon hefty bags have worked great for me in the past. Even on larger briskets (18-20lbs) they fit.

I have three Rubbermaid food storage tubs that are huge. Each one holds a full brisket or I fit two pork butts in one. Got them at wally world.

Food saver works for me. Right now they are on sale at Costco (with a coupon).

Blue and Orange XL box of Ziplocs. They are blue bags, and come in boxes of 4. I use one for my 2 briskets, one for 2 shoulders, and one for my ribs.

I just use wide plastic wrap, about 4 layers, put it in a hotel pan with a liner. I have a commercial fridge, so space for the hotel pans is not an issue. Do the same with butts and ribs, then just slide all the pans in the Cambro with an ice pan and I'm ready to head out.

I do more trimming to briskets than I do to my pork butts, so now I just trim butts at the comp. Briskets I'll put into foodsaver vacuum bags.

When I was trimming butts at home, they also went into the vacuum bags. But I would run into problems where the butts were so big that it made it real hard to get all the air out.

One day I'll get a 15" sealer so my life can get easier!

Back