The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Want your opinion - Sliced Ribeye Cheesesteak Tailgate (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150872)

grilling24x7 01-05-2013 07:29 AM

Want your opinion - Sliced Ribeye Cheesesteak Tailgate

Hi guys,
For tomorrow's tailgate we have about 10 lbs of ribeye roast. Today we are going to slice it very fine on our meat slicer. We also have authentic Philly Amoroso rolls and some whiz.

We've done this tailgate for years and pulled it off just perfectly.

The problem is that we have this little Weber Q with griddle attachment and we end up trying to cook all this meat on this little grill. In 40 degrees and wind this can take forever.

Question: What do you guys think about precooking the sliced ribeye at home and transporting it in an aluminum tin? Then reheating the meat on the little grill (at least it would be already cooked)?

Think we'd lose any flavor or texture? At least this way the majority of our time could be focused on just reheating the meat, onions and rolls.

John

here's a pic (oh im getting hungry already!)
http://www.grilling24x7.com/chzsteak.JPG

Bluesman 01-05-2013 07:38 AM

I do several tailgates a year and that is exactly how I do it. I have done brisket, pulled pork, abts.. pulled chuckie and smoked brats. All come off without a hitch and there always a bunch of smiling faces. you're good to go.

Twelvegaugepump 01-05-2013 07:40 AM

I've done the same. I would make sure that you have some extra broth to moisten things up if needed, but this will work great. Enjoy the game!

Bluesman 01-05-2013 07:48 AM

+2 on the broth

SheppsBBQ 01-05-2013 08:47 AM

That looks amazing! I grew up 25 minutes outside of center city Philly and Thursday nights were "cheesesteak night." Now I live only an hour and a half west and you can't get a good cheesesteak anywhere around here. Keep up the good work!

javahog2002 01-05-2013 10:02 AM

Looks great and sounds like a plan. Good luck. Payton will be waiting for you in Denver.

squealin big time BBQ 01-05-2013 11:22 AM

we are doin deer steak cheese steak tomorrow also...we cook them the night before and reheat on grill covered w/little moisture added and they come out good...lot H tomorrow Fat Daddy's social club

fingerlickin' 01-05-2013 11:27 AM

It's not ideal, but it'll work just fine. Sometimes you just make the best of what you got. Unless you can scrounge up another grill and griddle somewhere.

I'm sure they'll still be tasty and if you feed everyone enough beers no one will bat an eye. :thumb:

bo_b_q 01-05-2013 12:02 PM

The lot where we tailgate for ND games doesn't allow "open fire". I usually just cook ahead of time. I put everything in aluminum pans with some sort of broth mixture and take my gasser with me to use as a warmer. Like was said...not ideal, but still pleases the crowd.

grilling24x7 01-05-2013 05:05 PM

thanks guys! we're doing the reheat, now I feel better!

Bluesman 01-05-2013 05:10 PM

Post tailgate pics................:-D

TailGateJoecom 01-05-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilling24x7 (Post 2317497)
Hi guys,
For tomorrow's tailgate we have about 10 lbs of ribeye roast. Today we are going to slice it very fine on our meat slicer. We also have authentic Philly Amoroso rolls and some whiz.

We've done this tailgate for years and pulled it off just perfectly.

The problem is that we have this little Weber Q with griddle attachment and we end up trying to cook all this meat on this little grill. In 40 degrees and wind this can take forever.

Question: What do you guys think about precooking the sliced ribeye at home and transporting it in an aluminum tin? Then reheating the meat on the little grill (at least it would be already cooked)?

Think we'd lose any flavor or texture? At least this way the majority of our time could be focused on just reheating the meat, onions and rolls.

John

here's a pic (oh im getting hungry already!)
http://www.grilling24x7.com/chzsteak.JPG

Tailgating is my forte. I think if that is what you have to cook on in that weather then yeah you should pre cook. Tomorrow, i's have some beef broth and some oil. I'd liberally use the oil to get the griddle nice and hot and use a little broth as I heat it up. I would have some disposable aluminum pans that I would use to tent the griddle and help steam the meat as it heats. Then maybe drop a few rolls open side down on top of the meat to catch some steam and flavor and soften them as the temps will harden them.

TailGateJoecom 01-05-2013 07:49 PM

BTW, maybe too late for you, but the best way to slice them super super thin is to freeze the steak.