The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why soybean product in commercial rubs and spice mixes?? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92351)

Smiter Q 09-14-2010 02:46 PM

Why soybean product in commercial rubs and spice mixes??

Hi all, me and the GF were out shopping a bit this past weekend. More like window shopping, as funds are tight!
But anyway, we came across more than a couple of rubs and spice mixes that had soy in them. I am guessing it is ground soybeans?

Would this be used for flavor, or more probably for a filler or anti caking?
Why would they be using it.
Thoughts? :confused::confused:

Also as a side.. I been looking for a lemon pepper with no salt or sugar. Any recommendations?

bluetang 09-14-2010 03:15 PM

Was it soy sauce powder---salt? Soy powder supposedly retains moisture.

Big_T_BBQ 09-14-2010 04:02 PM

Soy is used like corn in a lot of products, but it's not actual soy/corn, it's chemical derivatives that come from soy/corn - and are cheap.

atvottawa 09-14-2010 06:59 PM

Read the label again and see if it says hydrolysed soy protein. If it does does it is basically the same thing as MSG. Any hydrolysed 'veggie or meat' protein is the same as msg. Its what makes food taste really savory. Some people can have reactions to it.

In my house we do not use any type of msg and we try to buy foods that have none in it. We just try to eat smartly.

BBQ Grail 09-14-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atvottawa (Post 1402058)

In my house we do not use any type of msg and we try to buy foods that have none in it. We just try to eat smartly.

Just curious if this is meant to imply that people who do not share your beliefs/thoughts about food are not eating smartly?

atvottawa 09-14-2010 07:19 PM

No, that was not my intent. No offence was intended here. But you can't deny that some people do have reations to it. And with a small child, we just try to 'limit'(not eliminate, all the things that are good tend to be bad. We like to live too.) the things that we know 'could be harmful', because there are enough things out there that we don't know that can harm you.

BBQ Grail 09-14-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atvottawa (Post 1402077)
No, that was not my intent. No offence was intended here. But you can't deny that some people do have reations to it. And with a small child, we just try to 'limit'(not eliminate, all the things that are good tend to be bad. We like to live too.) the things that we know 'could be harmful', because there are enough things out there that we don't know that can harm you.

No offense was taken. I was just curious what you meant. Your clarification makes sense to me...

Smiter Q 09-14-2010 07:23 PM

@ BIG T and atvottawa..

I assume it is both of your responses.

Smiter Q 09-14-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atvottawa (Post 1402077)

In full fledged agreement here. My GF has headaches after eating MSG, and a lot of other people do have sensitive reactions to it as well. Also, If the hydrolyzed protein of MSG is produced using acid (acid hydrolysis), it will contain carcinogenic (cancer producing) mono and dichloro propanols.

Now I am NOT saying that people who eat MSG will get cancer( I eat it).... but with the above information, "not" eating MSG based on the reason above could be considered "eating smart" as well.

Prior to my post, I previously did not know that soy was used as a flavor enhancer, and always wondered why I saw it in so many items.
I have been educated by the brethren, thanks all.

KnucklHed BBQ 09-14-2010 07:59 PM

hmm, hope this ain't too much of a derail, but if there are sensitivities to msg, then "autolysed yeast extract" should be avoided too, another nice way of saying msg... :wink:

Darko 09-15-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1402064)
Just curious if this is meant to imply that people who do not share your beliefs/thoughts about food are not eating smartly?

I would tend to agree with that statement to a degree.

Typically, MSG and other "flavour enhancers" are used in the industry to make something taste much better than it actually is ( for various reasons). So therefore I would think that if one eats a lot of that "stuff", one is not eating smartly.

wildflower 09-15-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiter Q (Post 1402088)
In full fledged agreement here. My GF has headaches after eating MSG, and a lot of other people do have sensitive reactions to it as well.

I get very bad headaches when I have MSG, have had to stop eating in several places due to it. :tsk:

bluetang 09-15-2010 09:46 AM

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein -- The extraction process of hydrolysis involves boiling in a vat of acid (e.g., sulfuric acid) and then neutralizing the solution with a caustic soda. The resultant sludge is scraped off the top and allowed to dry. In addition to soy protein it contains free-form excitotoxic amino acids (e.g., MSG) and other potentially harmful chemicals including cancer-causing chemicals in many cases. A newer method of hydrolysis involves the use of bacteria by itself or in addition to the chemical processes described above. There is a possibility that genetically-manipulated bacteria may be used.

The food industry sometimes uses large amount of hydrolyzed proteins as a "taste enhancer" because it contains significant amounts of MSG (monosodium glutamate). This is what is known in the food industry as "Clean Labels" -- adding MSG to food, without having to list it as "MSG" on the label.

In almost all cases, hydrolyzed soy protein contains a significant amount of genetically-manipulated soy. The hydrolyzed protein products currently added to foods should be considered a detriment to one's health. There are much healthier sources of soy protein and soy nutrients.

Recommended Reading: Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Neuroscientist Russell Blaylock, M.D.

Thanks for the post there Smiter, got me some education too. Don't ya just love it--"clean labels"

KnucklHed BBQ 09-15-2010 09:52 AM

Russell Blaylock is a great Dr, been paying attention to him for a few years now!

Big_T_BBQ 09-15-2010 09:56 AM

To build on what bluetang wrote, almost all soy in the US is GMO, produced by monsanto, and doused in round-up while it's growing. All 3 are things I try to avoid.