The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BWS Fatboy help... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159720)

Smokin'Butts 04-28-2013 05:15 PM

BWS Fatboy help...

Trying to find the happy balance of having the vents open enough to give me a clean burning fire with blue smoke but not get too hot and having the right temperature, but not the right smoke...any advice?

PaBBQ 04-28-2013 05:38 PM

I have the BWS Party. At first I was having trouble with temp control and was instructed to do the following. No more problems. I can now do long burns and keep the tmep within 15 degrees of target temp.

Start with a full load of charcoal in the fire box, all vents wide open and water pan out of the smoker. Light fire in one corner (I use the front right because it is eaiser to get started. I also add several chunks of wood at this time.

When you are within 25 degrees of target temp add water pan and hot water. Close the vent opposite to where you started your fire completly. Close the top and other side vent halfway. Once you hit your target vent close these vents even more. I normally run the one bottom vent open only an inch once my temp is correct. Of course you will have to adjust these vents when you add additional charcoal.

On my party any major shift in vent openings usually takes about 10 minutes for the temp to change - up if I open them or down if I close them.

Hope this helps

Jason TQ 04-28-2013 06:02 PM

There are multiple ways to start/run a fire on a Backwoods in terms of where you start the fire in the pan and how you move the vents. Here what I do to run my G2 Party & Chubby........

I started with water in the pan, light the 2 back corners with weber cubes, both bottom vents are wide open (exhaust vent is 100% open the whole time). When I'm within 25 degrees I completely close the back left vent and close the front right about halfway. When it gets within 5-10 degrees the front right get closed to about an inch. Then it normally holds around 225-235.

Other factors could come into play like the charcoal you are using and wood, but that is how I do it.

IamMadMan 04-28-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin'Butts (Post 2463402)
Trying to find the happy balance of having the vents open enough to give me a clean burning fire with blue smoke but not get too hot and having the right temperature, but not the right smoke...any advice?

I believe the backwoods are reverse flow vertical smokers, you will not see the invisible blue smoke. The smoke you see is probably water vapor from the cooker itself.

I have a similar smoker in design and had the same concerns. Use your nose to sample the smoke, not your eyes.