The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pulled pork survey (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255793)

OP 01-07-2018 07:32 PM

Pulled pork survey

Hello,

I prepared survey to capture how non-competition pulled pork is typically prepared. I am looking for feedback on the survey design now. Once it will be finished I will share the link to fill it out.

Survey design: https://goo.gl/forms/dyFAN0fzQ16Rqdjz2 Appreciate any feedback on the design, content, completeness (missing questions, optiosn). You can go through the survey and eventually submit answer, but please note that this is only design stage of the survey and the data will not be used.

The results of the final survey (data and summary) will be publicly shared if reasonable statistical sample is collected (~100+ answers). The summary itself will be sliced at least by different regions/state (subject to number of responses).

Why am I doing this? I love BBQ and data analysis. It will be cool to see how different paths people choose and if there is at least single step where majority agrees on the approach. I also hope that the results will help BBQ beginners to choose path that works and is practiced in their region.

No need to comment if you think BBQ is 100% magic and as such cannot be captured by data analysis :).

Monkey Uncle 01-07-2018 07:52 PM

Cool project, thanks for taking this on. Here are a few suggestions:

Include fresh ham and whole hog in the choices for cut of meat.

In the trimming question, include skin on/skin off.

For wood type include oak.

The internal temperature question is duplicated.

For the sauce question, give choices of the type of sauce used (e.g., eastern NC vinegar & pepper, central NC vinegar & pepper plus ketchup, Memphis red sauce, KC sweet and gloopy).

For sides served with pulled pork, include cornbread, hushpuppies, and corn fritters.

WhitesideJC 01-07-2018 07:53 PM

A few things I noticed. For the rubs, I sometimes use commercial and other times I use my own mixture (honestly depends on how much I've got going on). For the type of smoker, I typically use a Kamado smoker which I think qualifies as vertical, but perhaps you could build this question out a little more? Lastly, for the basting questions, I spray my pulled pork and not exactly baste it, but I'm assuming that's what you're getting at here?

Overall I thought it looked great - I'll think about anything else that comes to mind. I'm in market research (i.e. online surveys, focus groups) and I'd be more than happy to jump on the phone about anything else related to this. It's a fascinating idea nad I'd love to see the data analysis as well!

Jason TQ 01-07-2018 08:11 PM

I'd guess people would lose their minds with only those 2 smoker types in there. There are too many to name, but vertical and horizontal aren't crazy specific as there are lots of types of each of those :-D.

OP 01-07-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason TQ (Post 3929723)
I'd guess people would lose their minds with only those 2 smoker types in there. There are too many to name, but vertical and horizontal aren't crazy specific as there are lots of types of each of those :-D.

Agree, would you suggest better classification?

kevinstaggs 01-07-2018 08:55 PM

I would categorize smokers on several dimensions: 1. direction (vert vs horiz), 2. Firebox orientation (offset vs inline), 3. Fuel type (charcoal vs wood vs gas vs elec), 4. Water use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monkey Uncle 01-08-2018 05:05 AM

And also direct (UDS, block pit, etc.) vs. indirect (water smoker, offset, etc.) cooking.

IamMadMan 01-08-2018 05:26 AM

You do know that Faux means fake or imitation right?

So on page 13, you list Faux Cambro, which could include anything to imitate the same environment. This could include a cooler or an oven.

See https://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig..._b_840702.html

A Cambro (TM) is an indispensable tool to caterers. Made by Cambro Manufacturing, it is an insulated box in which caterers carry hot foods to weddings on the beach and keep them in the safe zone, above 145°F. But you don’t need to buy a restaurant grade Cambro, you probably have one in the garage: A plastic beer cooler. If you don’t have one, now’s the time to get one.

Thus the Faux Cambro....
Buy a plastic beer cooler large enough to hold a big turkey or packer brisket. Make sure it is well insulated, make sure it seals tightly, make sure it is easy to drain because you may want to use it for brining things, and make sure it is easy to clean. Wheels are a nice accessory. Buy an aluminum pan that fits inside to make cleanup easier, and keep a roll of heavy duty aluminum foil and an two clean old towels in it when it is not in use.

The idea is that, for foods that will take several hours to cook, like turkeys, briskets roasts, shoulder clods, hams, ribs, start an hour or more earlier than you think necessary. This gives you plenty of time to adjust for unforssen circumstances, like rain, which can lower a grill’s temp drastically, or wind that blows out your flame, or just a cranky old cut that doesn’t want to get cooked. If all goes well, and your food is done early, you can put it in the indoor oven at a low temp, or into the faux Cambro.

Mikhail 01-08-2018 05:42 AM

Why is an email required? I am having a hard time accepting that it is necessary to collect this personal information from Brethren in order to collect your data.

MountainMan 01-08-2018 06:33 AM

Why is an email required? I am having a hard time accepting that it is necessary to collect this personal information from Brethren in order to collect your data.

Never got past first page..... Sorry

OP 01-08-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikhail (Post 3929900)

Thank you for the feedback! The idea was to share results when available. I made the email address optional.

OP 01-08-2018 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=IamMadMan;3929894]You do know that Faux means fake or imitation right?

So on page 13, you list Faux Cambro, which could include anything to imitate the same environment. This could include a cooler or an oven.

See https://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig..._b_840702.html

Thank you for the feedback! So do you suggest to eliminate the question or structure the options differently?

Coat 01-08-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OP (Post 3929728)

You should include "direct or indirect" as well, as at least a few of us still shovel coals, and some of the drum cooks choose to go without a diffuser as well.

NickTheGreat 01-08-2018 09:12 AM

Fun stuff. I filled it out, and seemed like for many questions I said "no."

I don't wrap, don't inject, don't baste, etc. Not gonna change anything, but thought it was funny.

Jason TQ 01-08-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OP (Post 3929728)

Kevin gave an awesome place to start. There are almost too many ways to break it out and you won't please everyone there. So I like his initial break out.