Planning my first smoke

Patrice

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,

I've been using my kettle for about a month now only for high heat cooking (Burgers, flank steaks/bavette, rib steaks, brochettes...) I would like to try going low and slow and smoke my first piece of meat but am not sure of what I will need and how to go about doing it.

- I got some Maple Leaf lump and briquettes (been using lump so far but thought it might be easier to control the temp with the briquettes).

- I just bought some apple wood chips (couldn't find chunks in Montreal and online order cannot be done for now since our postal service is on lock-out).

- The kettle came with charcoal trays.

What am I missing now beside the actual piece of meat and some experience of course? :wink:

I'm thinking I should buy a thermometer of some kind since there's no way on the OTG to know the temp. Will any kind of aluminum drip pan do the trick?

Any suggestion on what to smoke first? I've been braising delicious suckling pig bone-in, skin-on shoulders (3-4 lbs.) all fall and winter long and thought it might be even better smoked. Any thoughts?

Back