• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

maverick dual probes et73 vs et732 any suggestions

chomper's bbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking at maverick thermometers. the et732 boasts an external on/off switch, higher heat prbes, and a longer range 100 to 300 ft. I don't leave my bbq space at contest for any lenght of time so how important are the on/off switch and the higher heat probes or is the maverick et73 just fine since it is more economical.

If you don't leave your area, why do you even need a remote?

I have both and use them in comps......no real difference in my opinion. You will be happy with either one.

Switches are for people like me too lazy to remove the batteries and the probes have had a tendency to burn out for some.. so the higher temp probes are a good idea. The longer range isn't a bad idea either since I seldom see a remote device work properly to it's reported range.
That said, the ET73 is still a pretty good bbq thermometer. We have one that we have beat the crap out of and aside from burning out one probe cooking chicken, it still works well.

I have the old et73 but never use the remote. The internal switch doesn't bother me, I leave the battery cover off, always.

I have both, while still a good unit, the range on the 73 is crap, while the improved range on the 732 is substantial. That alone makes it a no-brainer. The 732, among other things, also boasts a lost signal alert, which the 73 does not. Go with the 732, you'll thank me later.

I would go with the ET732. Main reason for me is I believe it retains your settings where as the ET-73 has to be completely reset everytime. I currently have the ET-73 and have been using it for over 3 years and the only problem I have is the range. It will lose signal when it is right next to the transmitter but it hasn't really been an issue for me. I understand that the ET732 has a temp probe and a meat probe. My ET-73 has 2 identical probes that can be used any way you want. I am looking forward to getting a new ET 732 when I can talk the wife into a new toy.

Sorry getting use to this e-mail stuff the only dual probes i seem to find when searching are wireless. I'm not opposed to hard wired probes. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Don't have the 732, but I do have the 73. I agree that the range isn't very good on the 73 at all. My cooker is only about 50 feet from my kitchen, but if I take the reciever into the kitchen it ALWAYS loses signal after a short time.

I do like the dual probes though. If I really want to check, I can still go and get the temps off the transmitter.

My 2 cents.

I returned the 73 and got the 732, the whole point of me buying the 732 was so I could monitor temps while monitoring my little son running around, I can go in front of my house (UDS is in the backyard) or anywhere in the house and still keep an eye on things while keeping an eye on the little one. Also I had heard complaints about burning out probes and the external on off switch is a much needed design improvement. I felt like I was going to break the clip on the older one taking it on and off to turn the unit off after cooks.

Got my ET 732 a month ago and love it even more than the 73. Range is so much better and the look and feel is better too. Worth the extra $

I just ordered the 732 last night so I can monitor the entire process without having to go in and out all the time just to check the cooker or meat. Lazy, I know, but hopefully I'll catch potential problems quicker with it than with out it.

Back