MSG: Beware or be fair?

backyardchef

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here's a link to a really interesting article about MSG-- it's history and some of the science.

I know many don't like MSG and think it causes reactions, so if someone doesn't like MSG or believes they get sick using it, I won't try to convince you otherwise, but this is still some good info......

Is MSG Safe?

That is an interesting read, I personally have nothing against it and have thought about adding it to my BBQ sauce.

Good info.

I found this to be coincidentally funny.

MSG was first condemned in 1968, when a physician, Robert Ho Man Kwok, contacted the New England Journal of Medicine with a letter describing Chinese Restaurant Syndrome.
Translation - Kwok = Quack??:lol::lol:

Good read there, MSG is always a funny thing for some people. It doesnt bother me a bit but my wife has stomach issues and has to stay away from the stuff all together. If she has even a little bit she gets bad stomach pains and bloating. It is amazing how many foods that it is used in especially in marinades and chips such as doritos.

Deffinately causes sinus problems with me. 10 min after I eat food prepared with it I can not breath through nose for 1-2 hours. Seems everything good has it though so I suffer.

Good read there, MSG is always a funny thing for some people. It doesnt bother me a bit but my wife has stomach issues and has to stay away from the stuff all together. If she has even a little bit she gets bad stomach pains and bloating. It is amazing how many foods that it is used in especially in marinades and chips such as doritos.

So you're saying I should use extra on my ribs for your wifey?? :icon_devil :icon_sick

Never had any problems with MSG - I prefer for it as one of the ingredients for seasonings and rubs

One of my friends is highly allergic to MSG so I must abstain from using it when I am cooking where she will be present.

The rep at Rock 'n Ribfest in NH asked all the judges if anyone was allergic to anything -- I assumed he was talking about MSG and that we were gonna get a pretty good dose of it before the day was over with.

When I eat it, I have to RUN to the John within 15 minutes. I only use it as a colon cleanser!!!!!!!!!!!
Getting a visual?
I can't taste it, but it runs through me like a slammin' chimpanzee!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

The only thing I've noticed with msg such as in chips is that it will cause your taste buds to want more, even though you have had more than enough already.
Guess it's good for sales.
I don't use it in anything.

Back