The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shoulder Didn't Pull (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165559)

BBQCookin 07-10-2013 06:43 PM

Shoulder Didn't Pull

Smoked an 8lb butt in my Bandera for about 10 hours. Temp around 250. Let it for 15 minutes under foil. Had lots of flavor and a good smoke ring, but it didn't pull apart. I had to tear chunks. Any ideas why it didn't pull apart for me?

Bacon 07-10-2013 06:48 PM

I usually let mine rest for a few hours wrapped in foil in a cooler with towels on top of it.

Bluesman 07-10-2013 06:50 PM

For one, cook shoulders until they probe tender all over, Internal Temp is no guide. Also, double wrap in foil then a bath towel and let it sit in a warm cooler for at least 2 hours and up to 4. Try this next time it will pull great. Keep trying, that's half the fun.

Callahan-que 07-10-2013 06:58 PM

Next time cook it til it probes tender, don't go by time. I never wrap mine I just let it rest until I can easily handle it then I pull.

landarc 07-10-2013 07:00 PM

You didn't cook it long enough. You cannot cook a pork shoulder or butt for pulling by temperature or time. The only way is by feel. In my experience, 10 hours at 250F for an 8 pound butt is nowhere near long enough. If it is bone in, you want to cook it until the bone wiggles easily. If no bone, then cook until the meat splits easily apart. Then pull, rest for 10 minutes, wrap in foil and/or pan and cover. Let rest for 2 hours. Cooler if you want, or a warmed oven.

Bludawg 07-10-2013 07:21 PM

BBQ RULES for Success

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

BriGreentea 07-10-2013 08:02 PM

Forgot this website existed...sorry....
It obviously depends on your cooker and this is the easiest thing to smoke. What many don't do correctly is prep. Prep to me is as important as cooking. I love going overboard with marinade/injections, hard, good rub,slather and time to sit for at least 2-4 hours in a fridge and have made terrific butts and briskets this way.
Also, if you have stable temps throughout and are attempting "pulled pork" then it's got to get over 200, then you can take it out. There is a point when it's too low it won't pull and taste as good and same thing goes you can overdo anything and trying to leave it at 200 some degrees internally can go from a perfect dinner to a very bland, dry dinner. Also, especially when your attempting to pull you need resting and insulation of at least an hour minimum for desired results.

boiler93 07-10-2013 08:07 PM

+1 on the bone wiggle. Some times i will wrap and sit if I have time but if I don't they still pull just fine. Look for the wiggle!

Stark-O-Rama 07-10-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2546826)
BBQ RULES for Success

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

+! - EXACTLY. We've had pork butts go 20 hours before they were ready.

LMAJ 07-10-2013 08:17 PM

Yep - you didn't cook it long enough.. ^^^ those guys gave you good advice.

El Ropo 07-10-2013 08:34 PM

I don't prep a thing, get the fire going, pull the butt out of the cryo, rinse and dry, rub it down, and cook it till probe tender. Prep is "extra work". And it's not needed to put out a great product.

For comps, yes prep is important. For backyard cooking? Nah. You could of prepped that piece of pork for 3 weeks, but in the end, it would still be undercooked.

But back on topic, I agree with everyone else. It sounds like you removed it from the heat before it was "done".

BigDaddyJT 07-10-2013 08:47 PM

I agree w/ what most have said. Cook it until probe tender, let it rest 2-3 hours in a cooler and you'll be good to go. The cool thing about BBQ is if your results are not what you like, you can do it over again until you get it right. Good luck on your next cook.

BBQCookin 07-10-2013 09:28 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will go back it, starting earlier, finishing later and with a much better handle on when it's "done."

woodbutcher1 07-10-2013 10:32 PM

Instead of cooking at 225*-250* ,crank er up 275*-300*
It'll pull in less than 10 hrs.including rest time.

Jason TQ 07-10-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2546826)
BBQ RULES for Success

Yes but temp and time can be a guideline. I use it all the time both at home and when competing. So do a lot of folks on this forum from all the threads I've read here and talking with folks on the bbq trail. So saying you "can't" is inaccurate.