The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fat Cap Up or Down - HELP (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110091)

Pappy 06-30-2011 03:30 PM

Fat Cap Up or Down - HELP

Do you cook a pork butt with the fat cap up or down? I'm using a UDS.
Do I need a drip pan? Water pan?

bigabyte 06-30-2011 03:33 PM

I like to use the fat as a "heat shield", so down in a UDS for me.

bover 06-30-2011 03:33 PM

Conventional wisdom (if you can call it that) calls for putting the fat cap towards the heat source, so in a UDS put it down. No need for a drip or water pan.

Pappy 06-30-2011 03:41 PM

I've smoked them in the offset a coule of times. Not in the UDS . . Thanks

jemezspring 06-30-2011 04:04 PM

Done'em both ways @225-240 on the UDS and have not noticed a difference worth mentioning. But I do usually flip at around the stall. Maybe at higher temps fat cap down is best. Dont worry it will be good either way.

Wampus 06-30-2011 05:02 PM

I don't personally think it matters much, but I have started doing them fat cap down after reading here about the whole "heat shield" thing. Seems logical to me and after thinking about it I don't really see much benefit to the whole "basting" idea which is why I started with fat cap up.

expatpig 06-30-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bover (Post 1692622)
Conventional wisdom (if you can call it that) calls for putting the fat cap towards the heat source, so in a UDS put it down. No need for a drip or water pan.

What Bover said.

The_Kapn 06-30-2011 06:07 PM

I trim the "fat cap" off totally.
Keeps it simple.

Butts have so much internal fat, they cook up just fine without the fat cap.
And, rub don't stick to fat--so I get killer bark all around.
Fact is, I trim out some of the major internal fat areas for even more bark.

Judges like it, and so do I. :-D

Works for me.
Your mileage may vary.

TIM

tomace 06-30-2011 06:12 PM

i did fat cap up for a long time, i think the judges see the marking of the grill in the money meat. switched to f.c. down and results on it have been much better. i did start using larger fattier pb's to make up for the lack of the fat dripping over the meat.

OneHump 06-30-2011 06:15 PM

It matters not.

bluegrass smoke 06-30-2011 06:16 PM

always up with a drip pan with apple juice/cider/jack whatever you got

Timmy 06-30-2011 06:55 PM

I'm with The Kapn. I trim all the fat cap off so that I get the extra bark. Pork butts are approx 20% fat so no need of a water pan.

BlueHowler 06-30-2011 07:01 PM

Put me in the trim the fat cap off camp. I don't understand the fat cap down as a heat shield thing. Isn't the whole idea when cooking is to have heat at the surface of the meat so that it can cook? If the heat is to high just adjust the heat until it is what you want to cook with.

martyleach 06-30-2011 07:13 PM

I have done both ways in the UDS....no difference. But I do use a drip pan as I don't like the fat hitting the hot briquets and creating a puff of ashes.

Soybomb 06-30-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Kapn (Post 1692806)
I trim the "fat cap" off totally.
Keeps it simple.

Butts have so much internal fat, they cook up just fine without the fat cap.
And, rub don't stick to fat--so I get killer bark all around.
Fact is, I trim out some of the major internal fat areas for even more bark.

Judges like it, and so do I. :-D

Works for me.
Your mileage may vary.

TIM

I'm with you, I want more bark, lose the fat cap. I even go so far as to score/crosshatch the top for more bark.